My durso is below water level

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I jus receive my 4 x 2 x 2 1/4 tank yesterday, today i fill it up with fresh water to do a test run... suprise that my durso pipe (the L joint) in the overflow compartment is 5 inches below the water level <_<

i have 2 return using 2 X eheim 1262.. can someone help ;) , cos i know the durso suppose to be above water level for it to work :( ...

• SRC Member

no need to be above water level... If it's a bove, it;ll produce a noisy gargling sound when ###### up the water... as long as water flows thru it's working...

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Hi,

i kay poh abit can show pic..maybe can help...i've made quite a few standpipes and durso and also gave away a few...no such problem so far... :lol:

• SRC Member

A durso cannot work if it is submerged because the air hole needs to be expose. The durso sucks in air through the air hole to reduce the rate of siphon so the water level in the overflow compartment doesn't fall too low to produce the gurgling sound.

Are you sure your durso standpipe is working properly in the first place. If a durso is submerged, it will automatically siphon at full strength to reduce the water level, at least until the air hole is exposed again.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Ok,

Check out this site, it may be able to help you..Like Tanzy had said the air inlet of the durso may have problem.....A proper standpipe or durso should be super silent...

Cheers

Daniel

• SRC Member

sorry guys

i dont have a DC, so did some drawings here, i thought with a durso the water level in the overflow box will goes up n down ? meaning when the water level goes up in the overflow compartment and reach the L joint , water will be suck in and flow to sump, after this process the water level in the chamber will go down again till it reach another cycle of water going up n being suck in.

but mine is maintaining at 1/2 inches above water, please take a look at my drawings n advise whethere is is suppose to be in this way :huh: , which i dun think so......... :blink:

The blue line is the water level.... a maintaining at that level at all times

post-6-1084107513.jpg

• SRC Member

i had that same scenario,

play around with the size of the hole in the cap.

i had 3 caps of diff sizes,

finally i picked one with a big hole,

sealed it with double sided tape,

then poked a hole with a toothpick.

then slowly adjust the size of the hole till the

water reached a leveli wanted.

• SRC Member
i had that same scenario,

play around with the size of the hole in the cap.

i had 3 caps of diff sizes,

finally i picked one with a big hole,

sealed it with double sided tape,

then poked a hole with a toothpick.

then slowly adjust the size of the hole till the

water reached a leveli wanted.

i had even completely remove the top cap , though water level drops... but still above L joint :blink:

• SRC Member

then something must be wrong,

cos if you remove the top cap,

the water will rise to the level of the open top.

a mini whirlpool will also occur there,

with the gurgling toilet flushing sound ;)

• SRC Member

I have a ball valve to control intake. so no such problems... If the air hole is exposed there will be some noise still... with it totally submerged, no sound will be produced... Unless you are using it to restrict your water level from falling too low, I do not see why having the durso below the water level will cause any problems... If it's below, it's ###### in water only... no sound will be produced what..

is it possible that your pipe's diameter is too small?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
I have a ball valve to control intake. so no such problems... If the air hole is exposed there will be some noise still... with it totally submerged, no sound will be produced... Unless you are using it to restrict your water level from falling too low, I do not see why having the durso below the water level will cause any problems... If it's below, it's ###### in water only... no sound will be produced what..

is it possible that your pipe's diameter is too small?

i find that my durso pipes height is almost the same height as my overflow box, and the water in the overflow compartment is about 1 inch lower than the main tank........, thought the water in the overflow compartment will be much lower...

eg. tank 2 ft height / water in overflow compartment should be aroung 1 feet :huh:

• SRC Member

yeah.. definitely way too high IMHO... is your durso very tall? think your durso pipe too small to cope with the high return rate??u have a ball valve controlling intake to sump?? make sure it's fully open.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

ryz,

The whole idea of the durso is to not need a ball valve to trottle the sump intake!post-36-1073276974.gif

If you are using a ball valve than the durso is not functioning properly. If you remove the durso and leave the ball valve, I'm sure your overflow will still be working as it is now! :lol:

The whole principle of the durso standpipe or stockman standpipe is a controlled leak of air to reduce siphon strength.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
If you remove the durso and leave the ball valve, I'm sure your overflow will still be working as it is now!

even if i remove the durso completely (meaning only left with a hole in the overflow compartment.... the water level will drop but still at a high lever.....

I think probably the tank to sump hole is too small :huh:

• SRC Member
yeah.. definitely way too high IMHO... is your durso very tall? think your durso pipe too small to cope with the high return rate??u have a ball valve controlling intake to sump?? make sure it's fully open.

yes its fully open <_<

• SRC Member
The whole principle of the durso standpipe or stockman standpipe is a controlled leak of air to reduce siphon strength.

so meaning... the durso need to be below water at all times with the cap (with holes) jus above water :huh:

confused liao :wacko: