Quinine

• SRC Member

Urgh!!!!!..... :pinch::pinch::pinch:

Maybe I should jus hyposalinate my reef.........

if i know what that term is first....

OK.... the facts....

I found some of the flatworms on a rock which came with a clam.... apparently these clam came from my friend who had seen ATs tank and wanted to do a re furnishing due to new inspiration....... and this clam came from a LFS thats known to have flatworms (lots of them) in their quarantine tanks.....

So.......... i managed to scrub the worms off that particular piece of rock... but wanna play safe and decided to do a mini nuke to my reef....

But as usual and a common practice which I have learned from SG REEF.... always seek advice before jumping...... :)

• SRC Member

Bad news man! From Morgan's experience, some of his acros bleach after treating with quinine.

Anyway, I need to know what kind of quinine you have is it in sulphate or HCl form? What's the formulation concentration?

Prepare lots of carbon to soak up flatworm juice, they are quite nasty.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Bad news man! From Morgan's experience, some of his acros bleach after treating with quinine.

Anyway, I need to know what kind of quinine you have is it in sulphate or HCl form? What's the formulation concentration?

Prepare lots of carbon to soak up flatworm juice, they are quite nasty.

Er.... Quinine's from Morgan so assume indirectly from you....... ;)

I was thinking of maybe soaking the affected pieces into the quinine solution....

need to know how much parts to water concentration....

And I dunno wan my acros to bleach....

BTW, it is ok to leave them there...

Got a Leopard Wrassw but I think hes a idle king.... :(

• SRC Member

Should be two ampoule for your whole tank. Leave for six hours and then if flatworms persist add another ampoule. Leave for another three hours then change 50% of the water and run lots of carbon actively.

Worms, snails and pods weren't affected even by concentrated quinine dips. Clams were fine too but LPS slimed a lot, could be a response to flatworm juice and not quinine.

For the dip, to keep it simple, it's one ampoule to the bucket. Swirl around a bit and leave for about 15 minutes to half hour. Some of Morgan's LPS were left in the flatworm juice and quinine dip for more than 2 hours without problems.

Do you actually see any flatworms in the tank at the moment?

Becareful not to cut yourself when breaking open the ampoules.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Should be two ampoule for your whole tank. Leave for six hours and then if flatworms persist add another ampoule. Leave for another three hours then change 50% of the water and run lots of carbon actively.

Worms, snails and pods weren't affected even by concentrated quinine dips. Clams were fine too but LPS slimed a lot, could be a response to flatworm juice and not quinine.

For the dip, to keep it simple, it's one ampoule to the bucket. Swirl around a bit and leave for about 15 minutes to half hour. Some of Morgan's LPS were left in the flatworm juice and quinine dip for more than 2 hours without problems.

Do you actually see any flatworms in the tank at the moment?

Becareful not to cut yourself when breaking open the ampoules.

The flatworms are located on rocks as mentioned... I have so far returned the pieces to a fellow reefer.....

however did spot some on the bare skeleton of one of my stylapora frags.....

Was wondering if they would grow into catastropic numbers if left alone.... from my understanding, excellent lighting is required to sustain them and I definitely have one ***** of excellent lighting!!!!

Hmmmm.....

*Siren sounding...*

All Flatworm busting units prepare for activation!!!!...... :nuke::nuke::nuke:

Actually, flatworms are known to grow to plague proportions when they is a lot of dissolved nutrients in water and especially when the water temperature is high. :angel: If you have these under control, you should be fine! *crossed fingers*

When I took my refugium offline and water temp went up to room temp for a few weeks... i noticed a few flatworms on my glass... (see my baby harlequin thread for a pix).

Phang

If you intend to dose your tank, you can follow Tanzy instruction but prepare to change more than 50% of the water. You also need a super efficent skimmer. Guess you also have to run plenty of carbon too.

Best is to do dipping, less stress to the corals.

Anyway all this has to be carried out in 2 phase. The 2nd time is about 2 wks later, that is when you'll find flatworm again. Guess these are hatched from eggs in the LR.

Phang, if it is not at plague proportions like Morgan's tank before we nuked it... then dipping makes more sense... rather than risk your whole tank unless you can do an immediate 100% water change like morgan did... hee hee.... or maybe I can loan you my Alvyfoamer skimmer for a few days... :)

• SRC Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice and offers.....

Ok.... go with the advice for dips......

Dun think a whole reef nuking session would be good.......

Maybe if these critters multiply, then would need to activate the Special Flatworm busters unit.....!!!!

Hmmm... the offer for a T loan Alvy foamer does sounds a little tempting...... :heh::whistle:whistle

• SRC Member
If you can drive a truck over to my place... I 'll see what I can do... but it's a T loan only ah! :heh:

Thanks for the offer....

But I have a DIYed Beckett already and its waiting for a suitable partner.....

A pump is what I need..... :)

• SRC Member

Quinine is not a Controlled Drug (CD), CD are barbiturates, opioids, anabolic steroids, some benzodiazepines. You can find quinine in Tonic Water.

As long as you guys don't try to drink it or inject it into your bloodstream, it's OK. Nobody will drink it anyway since quinine is one of the top 10 most bitter substance known to man.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

" Siren sounding in background".......

"sound of desperation and people screaming and running for their lives......"

bzzz..... Attention all FB(Flatworm Busting) Units.......Bzzzz..... prepare to move out in 5 mikes time....

Serious infestation of flatworm spotted at the Phang's residence 5 footer reef.....bzzzzzzzzz......

all officers to prepare their quinine shotguns and don anti yellow staining suits......

I repeat....bzzzz.... I repeat...... all officers on duty be prepared to move out in 5 mikes time....

bzzzzzzzzz.........This is not a drill..... I repeat....bzzz..... this is not a drill.............

Bzzzzzzzzzzz....................

:yeah:

• SRC Member

Nah..... if its like Morgans....

I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!...... :P:P:P

Found a liverock "well covered" with them..... so removed it and did a FW dip....

Is that gonna work....

BTW, have isolated the rock.....

And yes, does a blackout helps to curb this wonderful event??????

• SRC Member

Brown... and flat....

Hey wait a minute... before we go wild over this flatworm issue.....

was wondering whether flatworms are a common occurance in reefs..... cos it seems like there really no way that we could stop them from hitchhiking their way into our reefs...jus like the crabs, shrimps.....unless we really nuke every piece of liferock in FW dips and quinine.......

What's important is that we don't let them have a population explosion..... right...

now ... what measures do we take to prevent them from a population explosion????

• SRC Member

I've never seen flatworms in my tank before and I don't quarantine. I think they are quite rare on the reef but you can catch them if the holding tanks are contaminated.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
Quinine is not a Controlled Drug (CD), CD are barbiturates, opioids, anabolic steroids, some benzodiazepines. You can find quinine in Tonic Water.

As long as you guys don't try to drink it or inject it into your bloodstream, it's OK. Nobody will drink it anyway since quinine is one of the top 10 most bitter substance known to man.

I see.