need help from Schuran skimmer user

gaga

Just purchased a schuran skimmer jetskim 100 this eveining coupled with an eheim pump 1250 as recommended by the company's website. So just would like to check with the other schuran user out there where do you all set the water level at ??? I went through the instruction but it seem like there is no clear cut instruction of where to set the water level at. At the moment i leave the water inlet gate valve fully open and the the water level is as shown in my attach image. Is this correct.

post-17-1083689647.jpg

See the cone? You can try adjusting your water level to the base of that cone, the bubble will gather and rise up the neck into the cup. You have to play around with the air intake until you get a satisfactory foam.

Ok thank AT. I think i will follow your instruction. Sorry la first time using these type of supposely more pro kind of skimmer totally no experience with it. used to be a weipro user.

AT this is the best i can tune it to. Any lower than this no bubble at all irregardless of how i tune the air-intake. Hopefully this is correct. Hope fully some schuran user can verify this.

post-17-1083693027.jpg

Is your skimmer extremely new? New skimmers have a layer of oil/chemicals on them. It may take some time to 'break in' the skimmer.

yes in fact only one day old and running for only 8 hours. any idea how long to break in huh? quite worry cause i have a high bio load and i already remove my old skimmer. Dun know will there be any harm to my livestock until the new skimmer break in

• SRC Member

i think u just have to wait for a few days to 'break in'.... im not using schuran skimmer though, using aquaC skimmer and it took me 3 days of break in before it functions normally. within those 3 days, i didnt get much foaming but after break in you would get great results.

No harm done to your livestock unless the manufacturer has used some unknown chemical to clean the skimmer.

Just give it 24 hours.... not all skimmers are like becketts that have very short break in times and can produce foam within minutes.

If you can't wait... give the insides of the skimmer a good soap wash and try to get the oily film off the inner walls. Make sure you give it a very very good freshwater wash to get rid of any soap suds!

It should shorten the breakin time...

• SRC Member

hi, am using the same model as u are .. and yes, it is working perfectly ... as AT suggested, just wait for it to break in ... however, i cant remember how long it took ... but for more than a year, the skimmer is still serving well. wise choice bro!

• SRC Member

I've been using a skimjet 120 for half year. Youe new skimjet needs at least a week to run-in.

First, turn the water valve to max. After that, you will see light coloured skimmate. when that happens, reduce the water valve a little so that you get more bubbles and the skimmate becomes drier. Then, you will get thick kopi. But, be careful not to turn the water valve too small or the bubble will totally disappear.

As for the air-intake, I alway leave it at max.

Hope this will keep.

I think (marine) therefore I am

I've been using a skimjet 120 for half year. Youe new skimjet needs at least a week to run-in.

First, turn the water valve to max. After that, you will see light coloured skimmate. when that happens, reduce the water valve a little so that you get more bubbles and the skimmate becomes drier. Then, you will get thick kopi. But, be careful not to turn the water valve too small or the bubble will totally disappear.

As for the air-intake, I alway leave it at max.

Hope this will keep.

ya true thats what happen. It has been running for near to 18 hrs and getting very wet and lightly yellow coloured skimate. and there is no way to set the water level lower cause if not no bubbles. hopefully this is type of skimate is only temporary.

post-17-1083733404.jpg

Is the water level outside the skimmer too high??

it stting the sump with water level of 25cm. Do you considered that too high cause recommended min. water level is 15 ~ 20cm. i hope 25cm is not a problem. cause i can never set my water level below the base of the cone

post-17-1083733779.jpg