Any difference in bulbs brand?

RAV-65

Hi all,

been seeing many bros with different MH bulbs... all kinds of different brands like BLV, Saki, Radium.... Wanna find out how much difference are they in terms of performance?

Also heard about the spectrums and all dat, is there a bulb dat provide "better" spectrum?

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Definitely.

A discerning hobbyist will investigate which bulbs are good. There are TOO MANY bulbs out there and TOO FEW literature out there and it is mostly up to the marine hobbyists to do tests on their properties to see if they are able to provide a mix of providing enough PAR, the right PAR, the right spectral qualities etc to provide good photosynthesis.

Even the visual appeal of the bulb's colour can be so subjective that no one can really agree if YOU will even like it! :lol:

Sometimes a bulb may contain too much or too little UV/light/PAR/intensity. Some bulbs are notorious for losing intensity within a very short time.

Do a search on SRC with keywords 'MH lights', 'lighting', 'PAR' etc. I believe I have also pinned up quite a few articles on lighting.

You MUST read these links at least... it will ILLUMINATE your mind (pun intended!) ;)

Wow!

So can the TOTM winner ( pun intended ) pls provide some useful links?! Besides doing the search on SRC, I guess you might have some good links to recommend? Or if you're kind enough, why not share about wat bulbs u using?

Vincent Ho :D

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Gee... I have spent a fair bit of time and effort to search out and pin up these lighting information threads in SRC... for the benefit of reefers. Still haven't found them yet? :huh: Look at the pinned up thread in THIS forum! :pinch: It's there!

A little reading on my RC TOTM article will reveal you my reef lighting information...

---------------------------------

Lighting:

• 2 x 400 watts Iwasaki 6500K single-ended metal halide bulbs

• 2 x 400 watts Ushio 20K single-ended metal halide bulbs powered by Blueline e-ballasts

• Reflectors: DIY Spiderlight-type mirror-finished stainless steel

----------------------------------