Curious about fan placements in chillers

Achilles Tang

I would like to know why the fan placements are different in some chillers.

For example, the fans for the Artica chillers are placed at the opposite end of the casing and the fans for the majority of the other chillers are placed right at the cooling fins.

Is there a reason for this and what are the advantages of this.

Also, some fans are blowing from the front to back and some are blowing back to front! :blink:

Anyone care to share as there seems to be many chiller experts in SRC now? :lol:

AT

i dunno for artica or for chillers..... but most work in the same principle.

cooling fans as named, r to bring down the temp of the condenser. there r oso typically 2 kinds of fans..... the "pull" type and the "push" type. thus the diff in direction of blowing.

me 2 cents worth of knowledge....... others care to add more....... yawn...... tired oredi......

AT, 7 early 8 early ask this kind of technical questions..... :P

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
I would like to know why the fan placements are different in some chillers.

For example, the fans for the Artica chillers are placed at the opposite end of the casing and the fans for the majority of the other chillers are placed right at the cooling fins.

Is there a reason for this and what are the advantages of this.

Also, some fans are blowing from the front to back and some are blowing back to front! :blink:

Anyone care to share as there seems to be many chiller experts in SRC now? :lol:

AT

I would think those extracting fresh cool air from atmosphere blowing from back to front is more effective than those from front to back cos the front to back air have to go through the casing before blowing on the cooling fins, the air would already lose some degree of heat exchange efficiency before it reaches the fins.

Eric

In condensers it is more efficient to draw the air from the other side of the coil and through the coil and out from the fan side. That means the fan ahould suck in air from the condenser heat exchanger fins. There is a more even air ditribution throughout the condenser whereas most chiller design seems to push air out through the coils which is less effective. I don't know why they never learn from commercial air conditioning systems?

IF they have followed commercial style air conditioning we could be saving some money by hving a more efficient condensing unit.