My new 10G tank

szesteve

• SRC Member

Hmmm...I thought it was okay to put in invertebrates...

Cos my tank is not exactly cycling...it has been running for about 3 weeks already...It was previously a freshwater tank....

I was thinking of adding lights just before I get corals in a months time...issit crucial to have lights while cycling?

• SRC Member

szesteve.. u should have tested your water before putting any livestock in it.. 3 weeks doesn't mean cycling is over.. lights is not crucial when cycling a tank, it will depend on what you gonna keep in the future. As for ur topping of water, top up using FRESH water, make sure it's de-chlorinated.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
Hmmm...I thought it was okay to put in invertebrates...

Cos my tank is not exactly cycling...it has been running for about 3 weeks already...It was previously a freshwater tank....

I was thinking of adding lights just before I get corals in a months time...issit crucial to have lights while cycling?

no need to add any lights when cycling..... ;)

• SRC Member

wrong section? This is for members tanks and specs....... :blink:

It was in the FOWLR section initially. :lol:

The transition from freshwater to saltwater is bound to kill most if not all of the bbs in the freshwater tank filter. Should have tested the water before adding in anything.

• SRC Member

1) I plan to use corallife 50/50 lighting...

2) I also thought about trying to maintain the tank on a long term basis, so i'll probably go really low on fish. Right now, I'm thinking of 1 maroon clown.

3) Can starfish be introduced?

4) What if i'm going for vacation like 2 weeks? Water evaporation how? Can cling wrap the tank? :D

An anemone won't do well in the long run in such a small volume of water. Water parameters will fluctuate too much, causing uneccessary stress to the animal. I don't see the point of keeping the anemone for awhile, then see it bleach and die and then buy another one to replace it. In the wild, the anemone could easily outlive a human.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Hmmm.... In that case, I don't think i'll keep anemones then. Don't want it to die.

Will probably stick with some zoos, and shrooms.

As for the filters, yes, i'm running 1 whisper and 1 aquaclear filter...I would like to run a canister filter but because of space constraints, i'm unable to.

However, I'll be getting a hang-type refugium as that is more space friendly for me currently... Any comments?

• SRC Member
4) What if i'm going for vacation like 2 weeks? Water evaporation how? Can cling wrap the tank?

Would there be anyone around? Maybe you can instruct a friend or someone in the house to help you look after the tank while your away. Just write some instructions clearly on what to do so whoever that will take care of the tank would know what to do.

Not good idea to cover up the tank as that'll discourage gaseous exchange.

• SRC Member

i also kept a 10 gallon tank before

sad to said is not easy~~~

lets said if you will to be away for some holiday or worse reservist

once u reach home~~~ hope to see your tank in good condition

and take note just the death of one coral can change your water

paremeter

what i think is best you wait longer before putting any live stock inside your tank

u will get tones of algae growth if you dun control your water paremeter

well....

Good luck and do it slowly~~~~

• SRC Member

Okay,

I've decided to get the smallest canister filter available for my tank. Will it be an overkill???

I'm also getting the auto top up device so that when i go holiday, no worries about evaporation liaoz. :)

• SRC Member

Well, tomorrow I'll be adding 1 more pound of sand just to make it look nicer and also will be adding a blue background.

I read from some reefers here that Ceramic rings should not be used in a canister filter if i'm planning to keep corals as it will become nitrate factory. Is this right?

My fluval is stacked with ceramic rings, but I only plan to introduce 1 coral per month or per 2 months so that the system can cope... I also have approximately 12 pounds of LR which is more than then 1 pound per gallon rule of thumb... Any comments?