Rio3100 pumps n Coral Life UV Steriliser

hamannbmw

mainland tropical in Paris Ris is also selling. Price wise is $300.

My tank size is the same as yours and I am using the 12x turbo twist which is 36w and the largest, driving with 1260 with total tubing length is abt 3m and it goes from sump and return back to main tank.

The fishes especially my tangs seems to be free from ich. That's about 1 to 2 weeks after I installed the turbo twist.

There was a outbreak of marine velvet in my tank many weeks ago and that has killed many fishes. You might recall I have lots of clownfishes, anthias etc and all got wiped out in a matter of 2-3 days and they all died with "white stuffs" on their skin so I presume that is marine velvet. They are also down with ich.

Happened to be at mainland and saw this turbo twist in sale so bought one to test. After that my last two tomota clown slowly recovered from the "white skin" disease. The made it thru.

I noticed the white spots on the tangs also totally disappear after 1-2 weeks and they don't appear on the body anymore.

After a few more weeks I added in a salifin tang and there is no sight of white spots on it body until now.

This is my observation only and I do not know if the UV will help for your case. But I think you've a redsea O3 right? You know when I see your fish dying one by one and I can't do a thing abt it I gave the UV a try and it seems to work. Now I keep it running 24/7.

I read that UV will introduce a very small amount of ozone into the tank water and that might have helped for my case.

When my 2ft cube is put online I will use another turbo twist for it too.

well bro weileong...... there r pros and cons....... u will oso risk UV exposure somehow or rather if u r not careful right??? that's why i stated IMHO. :P no offence taken hor??? :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

bro lighting... no offence for sure.

The UV sterilizer are pretty safe as they are totally enclosed so the UV lights do not leak out. The ozone are much more effective but there's chance of overdose and O3 leakage if you're not careful.

Like you said pro and cons so need to weight it carefully.

• SRC Member
actually it has been said that aquarium ozone units are too small to create overdose...unless someone hooks an industrial ozoniser instead...

but given the trend nowadays to use industrial versions of equipment, someone may just use an industrial ozoniser.. :lol::blink::lol:

err...when you all mentioned over-dosed? you are referring exposure to Human, or over-dose into the aquarium?

I think if it is refering to over-dose into the aquarium, it is 'relative' comparison to the tank size.

personally, I would use UV, bec easier to use, and 'safer' to the tank, as no tuning or adjusting is required.

For those more technical people, I think Ozone is equally good and simple to use. :)

• SRC Member
mainland tropical in Paris Ris is also selling. Price wise is $300.

My tank size is the same as yours and I am using the 12x turbo twist which is 36w and the largest, driving with 1260 with total tubing length is abt 3m and it goes from sump and return back to main tank.

U mean $300 for 36watts model ? actually i found one which is UVC20000 price is about $255 but only 16watts, dunno enough or not ?

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

my blue tang also infected with ich. now spreading to my flame. yellow tang & clown fishes. Though on kent marine treatment, it comes & go. WOndering whether corallife turbo twister will do the job. I was recommended the 9 watts model, at abt $150. Any suggestins? Thanks.

B)

Save your $$$ go for the 36W. You get 4x the power at 2x the price.

I used already no more ich but it could be due to other reason but that is what I observed.

Remember to run it with a flow rate of not more than 290gph as recommended in the manual for effective killing of parasites.

E Aquarists' Place also selling.

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

check out bio ocean, i think kenny just brought in a few rio pumps...for ev series, the recommended pumps are ususally under-rated in my opinion....u might wanna try the better rio pump, Rio Hyperflow 20HF...can check with bio ocean if u want also...shouldn't be much of a problem to bring it in...