tank water circulation

ryan

• SRC Member

guys i need some advise on how to position additional powerheads in my tank...

my tank is 3'by2'by2' and i am currently using 1 sicce extrema(my return pump) for circulation only. is it is pumped from my sump, it loses alot of pressure as it has to pump to a height of 1.6m before entering the tank. this then reduces the pump output from 2500l/h to about 800l/h...

as such, the water flow is very bad and thus i would like to add some pumps or powerheads to increase the water circulation.

I have attached a pic of my tank and drawn in some places where i thought of placing some powerheads behind the rocks...

please let me know what you guys feel is the best combination for water flow... ;)

thanks guys! :lol:

post-17-1082656078.jpg

Hmmm.... a small Tunze stream will be able to give ample current throughout the whole tank but you have to be creative in hiding it and positioning your livestock so they get maximum benefits while not getting hurt by these currents.

You can also use small powerheads but I very much recommend a Stream... best if its the controllable type.

• SRC Supporter

2 and 5 sounds gd to me too..

u might want to get something that can be controlled.

tunze might be good or maybe too strong.. depends on how you place it..

another way is you can get a powerhead in there and increase the flowrate of your return pump.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

thanks guys...

i considered the tunze before but i was advised not to as most of my corals would be hurt as my tank is mainly LPS...

if anyone knows of a small enough tunze suitable for my tank please let me know...

i bought a rotating powerhead last night and will get an additional pump to use in position 2 and 5...

however this will only increase the currents behind the rocks and not in front of the rocks, which happens to be the problem area where alot of algae are growing now due to bad water flow...

i guess a small tunze would be best if i can find one...

thanks for reading guys!

help? :P

• SRC Member
tunze takes 11watts for mine.and very strong 6000l/hr..just right for my 5ft

better if i have 2 hahaha.

huh 6000 i/h enough for your 5ft meh..

i got one 8000l/h tunze been load to me for free.. I dont even find it strong enough... well strong at one side not another.. cant have strong enough flow throught out the whole tank..

now waiting for my TS12 tunze which is 12000l/h to come..

• SRC Member
if anyone knows of a small enough tunze suitable for my tank please let me know...

i bought a rotating powerhead last night and will get an additional pump to use in position 2 and 5...

As your tank is only 3' wide, a Tunze is OK if you place it diagonally in between position 1 nad 5, facing the ther corner so that the water can deflect off the other end. I was told that in a normal scenario, a Tunze Stream is good for a tank at least 4 feet wide, if you place it diagonally across, your distance is about 3.5 ft and with the deflection, should be Ok, ONE PUMP for the whole tank. Tunze Stream 6000 model with 7000LPH is good enough for a tank your choice.

I have a 3.5 ft tank and using a TS 6100 with a multi controller (plans for long term) for the whole tank, water circulation is excellent, couldn't be happier as the pulse and current variation of the Stream is extremely good for my corals.

• SRC Supporter

huh 6000 i/h enough for your 5ft meh..

i got one 8000l/h tunze been load to me for free.. I dont even find it strong enough... well strong at one side not another.. cant have strong enough flow throught out the whole tank..

now waiting for my TS12 tunze which is 12000l/h to come..

i find it strong lei,sand flying around..

i only have softies and lps in my tank,somemore lps like bubbles cannot have too strong current...

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

i find it strong lei,sand flying around..

i only have softies and lps in my tank,somemore lps like bubbles cannot have too strong current...

maybe depend on where u placing your tunze...

try to place it at place where corals need high current and place other corals that need low current in your low current area in your tank..

• SRC Member

my tank is 3'by2'by2' and i am currently using 1 sicce extrema(my return pump) for circulation only. is it is pumped from my sump, it loses alot of pressure as it has to pump to a height of 1.6m before entering the tank. this then reduces the pump output from 2500l/h to about 800l/h...

as such, the water flow is very bad and thus i would like to add some pumps or powerheads to increase the water circulation.

I have attached a pic of my tank and drawn in some places where i thought of placing some powerheads behind the rocks...

please let me know what you guys feel is the best combination for water flow... ;)

Actually, I'll put the PH opp. of the overflow so as to blow on the rocks as well as pushing more water down the overflow since your turnover rate is very low.

Eric

• SRC Member

I would suggest you change your return pump to increase the flow first, rather than spending money on powerhead, which will heat up your tank too.

I would recommend 1 good return pump plus a tunze. simple and good, tho the initial investment is a bit expensive.

• SRC Member
Just curious. Is strong current dangerous for the tank as the dynamic force created by the 'wave' could cause the siicon or the glass to give way.

No waves created in a fishtank could possibly break glass.... esp when we are talking about >6mm glass... same for silicone...

Unless the waves carry some rocks with them I doubt anything will happen

• SRC Member

I having the same tank size as your. Currently using a Tunze 6060 (non-controllable). U have to be CAREFULL where to hide its and tried reflecting the current! Almost have a SAND STORM in my tank! hahaha

IMHO.. buying a controllable one is of a better choice for our tank size

• SRC Member
I having the same tank size as your. Currently using a Tunze 6060 (non-controllable). U have to be CAREFULL where to hide its and tried reflecting the current! Almost have a SAND STORM in my tank! hahaha

IMHO.. buying a controllable one is of a better choice for our tank size

are you able to keep LPS with the tunze in your tank? :P

i'm afraid that the tunze will tear all my LPS apart...