Coral ID

RHUN

Hi Rhun

How are you?

Congrats on buying a goniopora! It's definitely one of the prettiest corals around but also...one of the hardest corals to sustain long term without feeding live phytoplankton!

Since you bought it already... :( well, keep it in moderate current, lots of light, away from other corals, on the sandbed and try to feed it with live or frozen plankton, but it's no guarantee that it will survive longer than 6 months as it will slowly starve to death.

You should read up on coral species before buying them as some of them are pretty hard to look after or have high demands.

So how's your two month old tank... it's two months already rite?

:)

Is the carnation coral you bought before still alive?

AT

Well, it's a lesson learnt now to buy stuff that you can't keep/don't know how to keep.

lesson #2 is underway... subject: Gonioporas. :unsure:

Rhun, did you buy any books on corals?

• SRC Member

I have one of these in my tank about 4 months old liaoz. I call it Jewel. Doing very well, taking up alot of space when its fully extended (extension about 5 inch).

But one question, if jewel needs good water condtion to survive, so can I say my water condtion is good? Then, why my mushroom wihich is suppose to be more hardy keeps melting away?? *ponder*

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
Dinosaur,

+ the 2 bags of sand you bought from me is your sand bed now 3inch ?? think you still need more right ?

BTW you have camera and why not post a pic of your 6 ft tank.hahaha now you cannot run away.

Yeap! Only half the the tank fill up, need more ...... any idea where to get?.

Erm ....... did post pic of my tank before ......... will take again & post tonight. But ....... don't expect too much hor ........ its terrible compare to yours... :cry:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
Dinosaur,

you make me droopl when you say your is 6 ft.

how old is your tank ? did you tell me ?

no lar, my is still young 4+months only still hard to say.

The current one about 1½ yrs.

Four months and you have this kind of results ......... feels like banging my head on the wall ........... :lol:

dino07.gif

I have one of these in my tank about 4 months old liaoz. I call it Jewel. Doing very well, taking up alot of space when its fully extended (extension about 5 inch).

But one question, if jewel needs good water condtion to survive, so can I say my water condtion is good? Then, why my mushroom wihich is suppose to be more hardy keeps melting away?? *ponder*

Actually, gornios are lagoonal corals and do better in tanks which has 'dirtier water' ie. skimmerless tanks which will have higher planktonic life levels.

Unfortunately, the amount of plankton in marine tanks cannot compare to the sea.

'Good water conditions' is subjective to each species and is a general term.

Some corals prefer pristine water and some corals do better with 'greenwater'.