Setting Up Wireless Broadband

Tigger

• SRC Member

Hi All, I am now using SNBB 512K. Thinking of setting up wireless BB access on my laptop(so that I can surf from my bedroom and do away with the wires etc). Currently I am using an Aztec Turbo 100 USB modem. Can any of u advise the hardware I need. Pls advise on the cost too. Thanks alot :thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi All, I am now using SNBB 512K. Thinking of setting up wireless BB access on my laptop(so that I can surf from my bedroom and do away with the wires etc). Currently I am using an Aztec Turbo 100 USB modem. Can any of u advise the hardware I need. Pls advise on the cost too. Thanks alot :thanks:

Since you are already having a BB modem, I would advise you get an Access Point. No point getting a BB Wireless Router.

But that is if your current BB router is ethernet kind and not USB.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

oh .. I just saw you have a USB modem :P.. think you better get a Wireless BB router then..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

2 Ways.

1) Get rid of your USB modem, get a Wireless ADSL router (eg.Netgear ones are quite cheap. u might wana take a look at it)

2) Use back your USB modem, configure a pc connecting to the USB modem to be Internet sharing (ie. act as a gateway) but this will slows down the pc, should u used that pc for surfing also. You will need to get a Wireless Access point.

IMO, not worthwhile for option 2, might as well go for option 1. Go SLS jalan jalan, they have bundle offers on Wireless packages that comes with the router,pcmcia card etc.

• SRC Member

Recently just i just set up the wireless network...not convince by the security options provided so i disable the wireless network but only use the router. (using Linksys Wireless AP w/4port router linking to my network printer as well)

IMO if u're using it at home...you need to enter in the MAC address so that other ppl can't access...as u know that anyone can just enter ur network with just a laptop w/ WLAN network card. You can carry on using ur modem but u need to get a wireless access point. If ur desktop/laptop doesnt have the WLAN card, then you need to get them as well.

Hope this helps :)

2 Ways.

1) Get rid of your USB modem, get a Wireless ADSL router (eg.Netgear ones are quite cheap. u might wana take a look at it)

2) Use back your USB modem, configure a pc connecting to the USB modem to be Internet sharing (ie. act as a gateway) but this will slows down the pc, should u used that pc for surfing also. You will need to get a Wireless Access point.

IMO, not worthwhile for option 2, might as well go for option 1. Go SLS jalan jalan, they have bundle offers on Wireless packages that comes with the router,pcmcia card etc.

oii..din pcc, logon SRC..??

• SRC Member

2 Ways.

Can u let me know the price of the Wireless ADSL router?

I have some technical question:

1. Since my modem is USB type, I dont think I can use it for wireless BB. I need to buy an additional ethernet modem rite????

2. After buying the ethernet modem, I must but a wireless router and a wireless card. The ethernet modem will connect the phone port and the wireless router rite. Then the wireless PCMIA card can communicate with the wireless router rite??

eg

Phone Jack-->Ethernet modem-->Wireless Router----Comunicate with PCMIA card in my laptop. Is this flow correct???

3. Do the market have wireless rounter ###### ADSL modem built into one, maciam 2 in 1 kind so that just need to buy PCMIA card and wireless router (with in built ADSL model). I am not too sure abt this kind of product as I dont go Simlim often. Thanks

• SRC Member
Can u let me know the price of the Wireless ADSL router?

I have some technical question:

1. Since my modem is USB type, I dont think I can use it for wireless BB. I need to buy an additional ethernet modem rite????

2. After buying the ethernet modem, I must but a wireless router and a wireless card. The ethernet modem will connect the phone port and the wireless router rite. Then the wireless PCMIA card can communicate with the wireless router rite??

eg

Phone Jack-->Ethernet modem-->Wireless Router----Comunicate with PCMIA card in my laptop. Is this flow correct???

3. Do the market have wireless rounter ###### ADSL modem built into one, maciam 2 in 1 kind so that just need to buy PCMIA card and wireless router (with in built ADSL model). I am not too sure abt this kind of product as I dont go Simlim often. Thanks

Check out hardwarezone for a rough price guide.

1) U need to change it to a ethernet modem as you need to connect the modem to a router which normal (if not all) only support ethernet (RJ45) interface.

2) Yes. However, some BB router does has the ADSL modem built-in.

3) Yes, there are. Depends on personal preferences and budget if you ask me.

Also, 128bit WEP is safe enough for many home users.

Just my 2cts

JC

uplink for cable modem is a miserable 128k oni. 50% of the speed compared to 512k ADSL. Very miserable. I send files to my friends overseas takes donkey yrs :P

tat is if u do alot of uploading.

if alot of downloading, cable win hand down..

My Accton cheetahaccess AC-IG2004W is giving me problems... sometimes it will drop off internet access to my wife's laptop and mine... how to solve this?

Hi,

just to share:

1. my modem is the ethernet type samsung model

2. using linksys wireless router with 4 port

3. using D-link adaptor for desktop

4. using pcmica card (come with toshiba laptop forget the brand) for my laptop.

all working very well.

BTW operating system are window 2000 and XP. self confirgurate.

regards-fooyl

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha

• SRC Member

I've been using Linksys Wireless router for more than two years. Wireless adapter got to be Orinoco Gold Card. Still using the old Actech Adsl ethernet modem.

AT, is your wife using wireless? You may wan to try relocating her access card. Try to get a location with best signal and avoid any other electromagnetic equipment nearby. If all else fails, try getting Orinoco or other card that has stronger signal strenght.

Cheers

JC

I don't think it is her access card. We have used it everywhere in the house... and no probs.

But the router sometimes will not transmit any internet data... but when I plug in the modem direct to my pc, my internet access is working fine. *puzzled*

• SRC Member
I don't think it is her access card. We have used it everywhere in the house... and no probs.

But the router sometimes will not transmit any internet data... but when I plug in the modem direct to my pc, my internet access is working fine. *puzzled*

May be equipment problem. I am also having the same problem with my access point. Sometimes it wont transmit data. Restart of the access point will rectify the problem.

• SRC Member

Yoz,

I got this about 3 months ago:

1. Aztech Ethernet modem ~98

2. Netgear 54G wireless router + card > 200+ (around there)

My complaint is that my router is in my room and when I am in the hall, the line can sometime drop. (Normal flat size..)I suspect it is when too many neighbours have theirs on. I am not sure if I am asking for too much, but I tot at least 100ft should be ok. ;)

Also, for 1 month, I had a neighbour riding off my account (never set security). I am a jetpack user...luckily I detected it and remedied it.