Roidan's Reef (II)

roidan

bubble:

how can i venture into sps big-time when i have so many fishes and LPS and other corals in such a tank?

and personally i prefer the movement of fishes and lps, softies swaying than the static beauty of sps reefs....both are beautiful at their best, but my heart goes with the fishes and the corals swaying :)

that's why if i really want to try sps, will do it in an isolated system with little or no fishload :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I concur with Bro Roidan: "I personally prefer the movement of fishes and lps, softies swaying than the static beauty of sps reefs"

But how come most of the TOTM featured in Central Reef are all SPS tank? It seems to imply that Softies and LPS are for novice and SPS are for advanced player. But is this true? I have seen people who keep LPS and softies in tank that have premium water condition.... example will be Bro Roidan's tank.

sps generally are more sensitive to water parameters than lps and other corals...thus they are classified under more difficult corals to keep....more so in beginner tanks like mine when there is an overzealous attempt to keep as many fishes as possible...

and nutrient loads and sps dun happily go hand in hand :)

take nitrates for example, i used to get 0.something PPM level before i started stocking heavily....

nowadays it is maintaining at around 5 PPM which i feel is never a good parameter for sps :)

and yeah...the trend now is towards sps because in the past, sps knowledge wasn't really readily available as well as good equipment and so the demand wasn't that great in the past, but now prices of sps colonies have jumped several folds in comparison to prices of yesteryears...

moreover, sps require high intensity good lighting which are not cheap, calcium reactors and other stuff that are not cheap also, thus all these financial price tags automatically place sps-reefs on the upper strata of reefkeeping and thus there is a *prestige* that comes together with it and thus gets more limelight as well ;)

thus, both static and dynamic beauty are equally beautiful. It's like comparing the French Alps to Mount Fuji. Both beautiful in their own sense, and both are at the highest peaks in their respective regions :)

• SRC Member

Bro Roidan,

Do you use Calcium reactor or kalkreactor in your setup? What brand is it?

Do you think it is mandatory to have a CR for a setup like yours with the LPS and softies? Oh..forgot you have a clam tank, so you must have CR.

Thanks,

Patrick

yeah...CR is useful...LPS and not to mention coraline takes up alot of calcium too...and clams.....u dun underestimate coraline algae, imagine how much calcium and carbonate ions are used when the rocks are coated with them...

not using kalkreactor, sometimes i do add kalkwasser powder to my top up water to slowly use up my kalkpowder that i had before the calcium reactor came along..

my calcium reactor is in my thread part (I)....

you wun go wrong with a korallin CR or deltec fluidised CR :)

• SRC Supporter

Nice tuka you have there... ;)

How long have this piece been in your reef?

The other reefers who have them don't seem to keep them alive for long...

really cannot count how many inside, along the way as i added more tangs, i took out some of them during feeding time when they are engrossed in eating and fail to notice my net swooping down from the water surface...no choice, i prefer to keep better water conditions for the ever sensitive Achilles tang rather than the purple queens...

to me, it's always easier to get good purple queens than a good AT specimen :)

no problems joe:

main key is to feed them well and often, my favourite phrase

*flood the water with food*

you can ask bro deepblue, he flooded the water initially when he had some anthias and the results were favourable...

but as he cut down on feeding intensity due to the nice sps, they started disappearing one by one slowly...

• SRC Supporter
no problems joe:

main key is to feed them well and often, my favourite phrase

*flood the water with food*

you can ask bro deepblue, he flooded the water initially when he had some anthias and the results were favourable...

but as he cut down on feeding intensity due to the nice sps, they started disappearing one by one slowly...

Flooding the reef with food... :fear:

Gee..... thats gonna be a little too much for my new setup... since its gonna be much smaller than what I use to have... :(

finally back in my thread *stretch my arms* :lol:

too preoccupied lately, no new pics to show you guys...hehe ;)

yeah joe....if u see the way i feed, you'll flip..hehe :)

anyway, i am sure you can DIY some cool equipment to further your reefing experience despite reduction in tank size.....great DIYs from you :)

hope to bring you guys more pics tom....meanwhile...good night...

let me sing myself to sleep :snore:

• SRC Supporter

joe, do a MONSTER dual beckett for yourself loh....i think u can pee and shit into your tank and still no prob...

i agree..

imagine a 5ft tall dual beckett skimming like say 3ftx2x2 tank? :P

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed