Is Red-Legged Hermit Crab Reef & Clam Safe

pet

Hi Guys,

I've a red slime algae boom.:cry2: ..not too sure if it's the lighting change?? I've just change my Iwasaki 6500K to full 20KK setup, light bluish color @ startup turning to whitish-light blue after warm-up. I doubt it's the light, as I've read good review of the 50KK bulb being tested and used as a stand-alone setup without problems. Well the color of the Iwasaki 20KK is less bluish than a EURO 10KK and the 50KK is less than the EURO 14KK.

Just wondering if getting a few of the highly recommended red-legged Hermit crab that eat red slime algae will help & if it is Reef and Clam safe -> note that I've a large clam population..........This idea was highly recommened by my US counterpart.

BTW, I was told the blue-legged Hermit is just as effective, but tend to be aggressive?

Any LFS to get the Red-Legged Hermit Crab......Pac Marine, LCK, Jalan Kayu or maybe at low-tight from changi beach??

Thanks a Million n Appreciate any Experience or Suggestion,

Pet

A commend that I would like to make after observation is that, there's lots of commend on the Iwasaki 6500K being too greenish-yellow in color and I believe that part of the effect cause by the water color and the glass material type. If you have a sapphire glass tank, it will appear less green and infact look good as natural sunlight. The standard glass is of 30%+green shade and sapphire is 10% blue shade, and if you can get mineral glass -> actually crystal, the 6500K will appear as true color to the human eye. Got this from a physical Professor, don't ask me why, I'm from digital electronics field! :bow::cry2::shock::idea::idea::idea::idea:

• SRC Member

Red legged hermits refer to Mexican red legged hermits. You won't find any here. And they eat snails occasionally too- no hermits are 100% reef safe.

There are easier ways to treat red slime. Siphon out the slime and shorten your lighting hours temporarily. They feed on nitrates and phosphates in the water. Maybe someone else canb elaborate.

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

I've a red slime algae boom.:cry2: ..not too sure if it's the lighting change?? I've just change my Iwasaki 6500K to full 20KK setup, light bluish color @ startup turning to whitish-light blue after warm-up. I doubt it's the light, as I've read good review of the 50KK bulb being tested and used as a stand-alone setup without problems. Well the color of the Iwasaki 20KK is less bluish than a EURO 10KK and the 50KK is less than the EURO 14KK.

Just wondering if getting a few of the highly recommended red-legged Hermit crab that eat red slime algae will help & if it is Reef and Clam safe -> note that I've a large clam population..........This idea was highly recommened by my US counterpart.

BTW, I was told the blue-legged Hermit is just as effective, but tend to be aggressive?

Any LFS to get the Red-Legged Hermit Crab......Pac Marine, LCK, Jalan Kayu or maybe at low-tight from changi beach??

Thanks a Million n Appreciate any Experience or Suggestion,

Pet

A commend that I would like to make after observation is that, there's lots of commend on the Iwasaki 6500K being too greenish-yellow in color and I believe that part of the effect cause by the water color and the glass material type. If you have a sapphire glass tank, it will appear less green and infact look good as natural sunlight. The standard glass is of 30%+green shade and sapphire is 10% blue shade, and if you can get mineral glass -> actually crystal, the 6500K will appear as true color to the human eye. Got this from a physical Professor, don't ask me why, I'm from digital electronics field! :bow::cry2::shock::idea::idea::idea::idea:

P.S you mean StarPhire, sapphire is a mineral!

Hi Guys,

I have a starphire glass tank but I dun want to try using a iwasaki 6500k as sometimes using 10,000k on its own (depending on water quality) can look yellow sometimes. But when DOC/DOM is low, it looks whiter. With FL actinics, the result is a nice white with a tinge of blue.

I doubt that even the sultan of brunei can afford a sapphire tank! :blink:

Anyway, comments on the iwasaki 50k bulb is that is is too purple. Interesting peaks on some of parts of the spectrum. PAR is low. I highly doubt it can be used on its own.

Anyway, we are both :off:

We can talk abt this in the appropriate thread.

Hi guys,

Thanks and I've used the RED SLIME REMOVAL at the very last........no choice, since add Phos-Guard and polyfilters over the past 2 weeks X 3 times of change doesn't help. I'm concern with the after effect of this so call RED SLIME REMOVAL.

BTW, RED SLIME multiple in wavelength of 570nm & above, that's from gree-yellow to orange red type of color spectrum....since changing from 6500K to 20KK should reduce the algae growth rate...but..???????

BTW, my evluation on light is all base on theory after going thru my fiber base design reference guide and reading thru Florida base research on Florida coral reef. Plse do not take it from here and buy base on my recommendations. :yeah: I do notice major differences in how my clam reacts, swapping between 6500K, 20KK and 50KK bulb over the month. I do believe 6500K & 20KK is a good deal, noting that I've never use Radium before....maybe better?

Thanks,

Peter Peh