Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

The following info will be helpful. All tested:

1/4HP is 430W R134a

1/3HP is 565W

1/2HP is 605W R22a

1HP is 1340W

1.5HP is 1870W

2HP is 2520W - great choice for Morgan's outdoor tank if he want to see polar bear mating

3HP is 3095W

• SRC Member

I was told by the OEM manufacturer during last year Aquarama, that use a higher flow pump is more effiecient for the chiller.

minimum flow is 2000l/hr...and the bigger the better. :D so for those who is installing remotely.....maybe you need a MD-55? <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I finally got my chiller hooked up outdoor. No more heat. No more Sound. Best of all, it cool faster :P

Many thanks to Weileong for bringing me down to buy PVC parts and insulation foam at Ubi. He is such a helpful guy .. :rolleyes:

post-17-1082850193.jpg

• SRC Member
I finally got my chiller hooked up outdoor. No more heat. No more Sound. Best of all, it cool faster :P

Many thanks to Weileong for bringing me down to buy PVC parts and insulation foam at Ubi. He is such a helpful guy .. :rolleyes:

Just curious, your tank is near the aircon ledge?

If not, how do you do it?

• SRC Member

it look so 'cute', when compare to the other 2 giants! :P

calling SEAMONKEY!

this is a idea for your new home!

Hey Hon,

That was fast of you! Now you can enjoy the quietness and yet the power of the chiller, wow best of both world.

Truely out of sight, out of mind!!! Looks like I should "throw" mine ouf of the house instead of hanging in the kitchen ceiling.

I spend the whole afternoon rescaping my tank after I saw your tank full of SPS :P:P:P:P

Your AT, PT, etc and best of all you don't feed them which is what I am doing now so I basically got the reassurance that you don't need to feed yours tangs :P

• SRC Member
Ah... see the specs properly and you do the maths.

For DA-500B, 1/2hp consumption is 2.8A 230W = 644W but rating says 1170W probably referring to cooling power?

Then DBM-250 1/3hp consumption is 3.5A 230W = 805W but rating say 1000W probably also referring to cooling power.

Actually makes sense since the commerical chillers have strong exhaust fan and hence more efficient.

So don't just look at the paper specs, gotta check it out in details if avaliable.

Doesnt make sense leh, a 1/2HP artica consumes 2.8A x 230V = 644watts

1/2HP atman = 300watts

No wonder the artica chiller can cool so fast, the 1/2HP compressor is ###### the power of almost 1HP. (1HP ~750watts) I suspect the 1/2HP compressor might be underrated.

I still feed my clown and blue tang. What I meant is no need to target feed the tangs, just let them go graze on the algae.

Ah if you look at the 1hp artica, it draws 6.2 amps and that is more than 2x the current drawn compared to the 1/2hp.

300W with power factor taken into consideration = 0.5hp.

Ah now it makes some sense :P

But 1hp compressor so small?

I saw the 9000 btu (3/4 hp) in aircon shop and it is still larger than the one used in the 1/2hp artica.

I don't know if this is a joke or not. Firstly we get a RR/Ti chiller with underrated compressor and now we get a artica with overrated compressor? But at least this artica cools!

• SRC Member

strat,

My tank is seperated by a bathroom. The hole on the wall was drill 1 yr ago. I only have to drill 2 hole out to the aircon ledge. Piping is covered in insulation foam. Trucking only apply in the bathroom :P

alfa,

I change to a eheim 1262. I trust eheim can handle back pressure very well. The pipe actually climb 2m+ up then horizontal near the ceiling for 3m+, after that vertical down 2m+ and 1m+ horizontal along the aircon ledge. If you look closely on the left, you can see 2 black insulated pvc coming down.

weileong,

You should consider putting it outside. Today I woke up with a nice cool flooring around the house. No sound also :P I do feed my tang at the initial stage when i intro them into the tank. Fed them with Pangchye for about 2 mths and now stop. Ocassionally if a got spare Pangchye at home, will let them have a feast..but very rare :P

• SRC Member
strat,

My tank is seperated by a bathroom. The hole on the wall was drill 1 yr ago. I only have to drill 2 hole out to the aircon ledge. Piping is covered in insulation foam. Trucking only apply in the bathroom :P

Nice....btw is this chiller weather proof?

• SRC Member
I still feed my clown and blue tang. What I meant is no need to target feed the tangs, just let them go graze on the algae.

Ah if you look at the 1hp artica, it draws 6.2 amps and that is more than 2x the current drawn compared to the 1/2hp.

300W with power factor taken into consideration = 0.5hp.

Ah now it makes some sense :P

But 1hp compressor so small?

I saw the 9000 btu (3/4 hp) in aircon shop and it is still larger than the one used in the 1/2hp artica.

I don't know if this is a joke or not. Firstly we get a RR/Ti chiller with underrated compressor and now we get a artica with overrated compressor? But at least this artica cools!

It could be a feel good factor, Wow my 1/2HP artica can outcool all the 1/2HP chillers out there but its drawing 2x the power of other chillers. It wont save any $ in electrical cost but will actually increase it even if the operation time is reduced.

The price is also so expensive, I believe its $1700+ for 1/2HP?

I can buy 3x 1/2HP chillers with that $1700 and run 2x 1/2HP chillers simultaneously and still have the same power consumption.

Btw I dont think the artica chiller is weather proof as the manual warned not to place the chiller in high humidity and avoid water splashes.

Interesting thread... seems like the Artica Gang is slowly growing! :lol: Ti/RR surely losing ground already. Sigh... how the mighty have fallen. Greed is the root of all troubles.

Anyway, I urge all those who are considering chillers to ask as many questions as possible as there seems to be a multitude of aircon/chiller 'experts' these days in SRC. ;)

But again... its easy for anyone to be swayed by initial positive reports reviewed by the bros here (even for the 'past' performers). It is really too early to tell... :ph34r: or you will see history repeat itself.

Don't make the mistake of following the group and leader which sings the loudest. For every pro, there is a con.

Its quite laughable now but when you look back in history... we ALL are guilty of raving about how the RR/Ti 1/2hp beat the pants off the Teco RA680... and now we have a new untested product which is going to beat the pants off the Ti/RR 1.25hp.... I wonder who is going to be the next champion? ;)

I think Barracuda makes some sense there... there are also many factors to consider... price vs noise vs power consumption vs true specs vs build efficiency vs size vs long term reliability vs running costs vs warranty vs customer service.

Not every product is perfect but the most important thing is to have TRUST in whatever you BUY. And of course, TRUST in whoever is building/selling the product. ;)

Let there be light! ;)

AT

Hon & Weileong, your tangs will slowly grow skinny if they don't get enough vegetable matter in a reef tank.. short of feeding them good stuff daily with nori (seriously, pang chai is not nutritious enough), I don't see how you can ever get enough algae growth to sustain them... and surely not for an SPS tank as macroalgae tends to take advantage and overgrow the corals.

Please feed your tangs daily or Mr DA, our resident Tang Policeman will arrest you both soon! :P

• SRC Member

zephyros,

Yap, I staying around that area but at the 18x side :P You are welcome to check out the piping, it's difficult to explain how its run in words. ;)

AT,

Thanks for reminding everyone regarding choice of chiller. Since Arctica haven't been in SG for long, its still hard to tell the reliability of the chiller yet.

Actually I just wanted to share my joy with the rest here that I've found a chiller that's able to cool my tank water and yet consume 1/2 the power compared to my previous unit. I'm not of any intention to promote this chiller as I gain nothin but only blames and curses from fellow reefers if the chiller fail under their application.

I have stress not once but numerous times that this commercial unit is not a quiet chiller. It will sound slightly quieter than your home multi-split aircon unit only, which prompted me to dump it outdoor. For quieter unit, maybe an Arctica 1/3 and below will suit better. Be your own judge and not following the crowd.

Will feed my Tangs if necessary. But till then, they are still carrying a round tummy with thick flesh of meat running along the upper body.