German Tanks!!! Eat ur heart Out!!

robe

• SRC Member

Hey, I like Basin Uwe Stoll - Gomaringen's reef...

Very Amano like... and the Blassamuta pic....

Great reef...... :D

These german reefs look so much better ..... was wondering if its entirely based on their belief in a nutrient starved system??

• SRC Member

Phang,

But your 250W ballast is MV ballast and won't run AB bulb. They require pulse start ballast.

If you want to get 250W bulbs, I can get them for you the next time I order some stuff from US. They will be less than S$200 each, at the moment I've only got sakis. :)

This zeolite thingie is quite dubious, it is aluminium oxide ore. Phosguard is refined aluminum oxide. They can't seem to pin down the benefits it contributes. Weird how they dose trace and then absorb it. Sooner of later they will get heavy metal buildup.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Phang,

But your 250W ballast is MV ballast and won't run AB bulb. They require pulse start ballast.

This zeolite thingie is quite dubious, it is aluminium oxide ore. Phosguard is refined aluminum oxide. They can't seem to pin down the benefits it contributes. Weird how they dose trace and then absorb it. Sooner of later they will get heavy metal buildup.

All I hav to do is change the ballast and get ignitors.....to replace the 250Ws..

For the 400W down to 250W, get 250W ballast ... striking voltage should be the similar for both 250 and 400s...

Anyway, jus toying with the idea only..... but 250s for long term would sav me a lot in terms of bills.......

Cost should be minimal..... now its the bulb price......

are these BLV 250W 10kk SE bulbs expensive over there???

Hmmm...... let keep this Zeolite thing in mind and see how.......

but at the moment, dealing with overskimming.......

What do you recommend for Iwakis??? for my skimmer size.. 6inches reaction chamber 20inches tall....

• SRC Member

Are there DIY pulse start ballasts in Singapore? Never seen them before. I think their tank is not as deep as your tank too. Like robe mentioned earlier, some of them use 1000watters!

250W AB E40 is about 120 Eur over here which I will consider expensive.

I'll recommend a 55 series at least cause it's quite a big skimmer.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Hi Phang,

As long as it is German MH lamps you can use any of the 250w MH lamps sold in electrical shops here plus the igniter. In the trade they call the igniter and ballast system as pulse start. THe igniter will ignite the lamp with a 4.2 KV injection voltage to create the arc.

So no need to order the ballast from the US for German lamps.

• SRC Member
Hi Phang,

As long as it is German MH lamps you can use any of the 250w MH lamps sold in electrical shops here plus the igniter. In the trade they call the igniter and ballast system as pulse start. THe igniter will ignite the lamp with a 4.2 KV injection voltage to create the arc.

So no need to order the ballast from the US for German lamps.

Robe,

Thanks... ehhhh..... I should assume that 250s and 400s run on the same 4.2-4.5 kV ignitor....... :fear:

How jus need to find a bulb that's 10kk ...

Was thinking of the 250 Radiums but think its too Blue...

Anyone knows whats available here in the 250W SE arena????

• SRC Member

the answer is yes. and aquamart will sell u at ~$220 per bulb :pinch: alternatively, try bulb freakz :yeah:

Is Corallife 250W 10K the same as AB 250W 10K in terms of PAR..etc..?

I could not recall a link that does that comparison... anyone knows..

• SRC Member

Is Corallife 250W 10K the same as AB 250W 10K in terms of PAR..etc..?

I could not recall a link that does that comparison... anyone knows..

Hmmm the AB aqualine has rather good comments on their PAR...

But think the Coralife 10kk bulb is a too blue to be that spectrum...

You can refer to this......

http://www.geocities.com/justinbaldwin/Sanjay.html

• SRC Member

I'll second that, go for German or Jap bulbs. They call it 'Coraldeath' in US. I've seen the coralife bulbs that are suppose to be 10000K, looks a lot more like Radium colour to me but they are so pitifully dim.

post-36-1093875548.jpg