growth pic of birdnest

cool, fantastic growth rate...looks so sweet ;)

....how long did it take the birdnest to turn pink?

I recently bought a colony (brown) from a fellow reefer, now placing it high up under 250W 10000K BLVs ..wondering how long it will take to colour up...

• SRC Member

didnt really notice the time frame of colour change, but i would say its about 3-4 weeks.... lesson i learned is to keep ur hands off from ur corals as much as possible. i kept moving this frag back then from one place to another. this colouration and growth became noticable when i left it untouched and settled in one place.

.... lesson i learned is to keep ur hands off from ur corals as much as possible. i kept moving this frag back then from one place to another. this colouration and growth became noticable when i left it untouched and settled in one place.

good advice..thanks!

didnt really notice the time frame of colour change, but i would say its about 3-4 weeks.... lesson i learned is to keep ur hands off from ur corals as much as possible. i kept moving this frag back then from one place to another. this colouration and growth became noticable when i left it untouched and settled in one place.

Yah man..notice the same thing when I keep handling some of the colonies...the coloured tips tend to fade a fair bit until i left them alone...

"Save a reef, grow your own"

These corals can grow very very fast when they are settled down!

My brown birdsnest frag also grew in spurts but the day it truly exploded in size, it also changed colour to light pink! :)

birdsnest.jpg

I have mine directly under a 400w 6500k bulb.

• SRC Member
Hey jon, probably you could share your tank specs.

tank: 4x2x2ft

sump: 3x1.5x1.5ft

water circulation: 1 x 6110 tunze

1 x 6060 tunze

return pump: 1 x sicce suprema (4000l/h)

protein skimmer: aquac ev-200 w 1 x sicce extrema and 1 x ocean runner pumps

diy kalk dripper

manual dose of calcium and reef buffer :(

lights: 2 x 250w mh 20000k

1 x 400w mh 10000k

cooling system: 0.5hp reef relief chiller

tank as of feb 14 2004

post-22-1081930729.jpg

• SRC Member

thanks guys!

but still a long way to go, seeing ur tanks encourages me to further improve my tank.....

day, now eyeing on a canon A80, best i can afford right now for my budget, so i can use it as well for diving... hehehe... btw, this was taken w just 20000k bulbs on....

• SRC Member

Looking sweet! Nice scaping as well! :)

At what levels are you able to maintain your Ca and Alk at with manual dosing? I'm sure you'll get explosive growth with a CR...

Btw, I picked up the A80 plus u/w housing a few months back. Excellent 4mp camera for the price... great value for money. Worked great when in Manado last week. Will post some pics in the scuba forum soon.

• SRC Member

thanks dan

last time i tested my water parameters was feb 6:

ammonia = undetectable

nitrite = undetectable

nitrate = 50

calcium = 430

carbon hardness = 10.9

alkalinity = 3.89

pH = 7.9

salinity = 1.023

phosphate = 0.1

ive been patient in dosing calcium daily while waiting for my cr which has been dragging for months to deliver....

yeah, ive seen a dive companion last weekend used his A80 and i find it really good.... served him well in our perhentian trip.... will get one soon.... hope to see ur pics up n posted soon....

• 2 weeks later...