New 5 Footer Reef Setup

Phang

Funny... but your 'refugium' isn't a refugium by real definition!

It's a coral tank!

A refugium would be macroalgae dominated, allowing pods and worms to grow without fear of predation by any livestock in the tank.

It's a place of 'refuge' for them so to speak! And a refugium is commonly used for natural filtration by all the algae....

I see no such function in your 'refugium', Phang... heh!

Hey Phang... if you are really lost about your main tank maker... why not use mine? He did a good job on mine!

:lol:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

It's a coral tank!

A refugium would be macroalgae dominated, allowing pods and worms to grow without fear of predation by any livestock in the tank.

It's a place of 'refuge' for them so to speak! And a refugium is commonly used for natural filtration by all the algae....

Hey Phang... if you are really lost about your main tank maker... why not use mine? He did a good job on mine!

That's right!!!...

My refugium according to Phang's definition is a place for coral frags from mains.... (future usage)...hahaha... and of course space for DSD....

Well, whether in the future, it may become a truly "true" refugium which jus only requires me to place it more macroalgae and move my current corals up....

Bo Bian!!!!.... no main tank so no place lah.... but once my mains up...... :lol::lol::lol:

AT, I would need quotes from your tank maker....

tank design now 5.5 ft with .5 ft made as external overflow...

This external overflow hopefully with 3 compartments???? and 4 holes (2 input and 2 output)...

eurobracing both top and bottom.....

Glass 12 mm 2 additional 4 inch bracings for top......

• SRC Member
Phang, I would like to see the beckett rock some action in your tank. Since this is just your refugium, I would be interested to see how you run the filtration, if possible. BTW a very nice tank, should have gotten you to be my interior designer for my new tank  :D

Well, If you don't mind starting a 6 footer.... hahaha, we can definitely sit down and discuss....keekeke

Will post pics of my Beckett should everything works out fine.....

• SRC Member

Thats the problem. I dunno how to draw.

Just imagine a rectangular glass tank of 6.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 ft.

Then at the rear 2 corner, each have an internal box of 0.5 x 0.5 ft internal overflow box with 2 hole of 43mm and 34mm in it.

Then euro brace and side bracing all round the tank.

But I cannot use a single center brace.

Instead use 2 off-center brace 1ft away from the center of the tank, therefore creating a gap of 2ft in between those 2 center brace.

That's all lor

Can help me do a rough wan???

It's a coral tank!

funny i was thinking of the same thing too.... but never dawn to me to ask.. :huh:

• SRC Member
That's right!!!...

My refugium according to Phang's definition is a place for coral frags from mains.... (future usage)...hahaha... and of course space for DSD....

Well, whether in the future, it may become a truly "true" refugium which jus only requires me to place it more macroalgae and move my current corals up....

Bo Bian!!!!.... no main tank so no place lah.... but once my mains up...... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

AT, I would need quotes from your tank maker....

tank design now 5.5 ft with .5 ft made as external overflow...

This external overflow hopefully with 3 compartments???? and 4 holes (2 input and 2 output)...

eurobracing both top and bottom.....

Glass 12 mm 2 additional 4 inch bracings for top......

O.. You know who to pass the Xtra frags to if you dun need them, rite?

If no, heres a hint: The person posting this reply :P

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Like some advice so as to aid my procedure with my main tank.......

My sump tank possesses 2 compartments for water entry from mains...

basically one which would lead water to the refugium and one directly to the reservoir... the refugium's water will also overflow into the reservoir....

Question is .... Where should I place the skimmer....

1) before the refugium or in the reservoir???

cos if I placed it before the refugium, then the amount of water skimmed in subjected to how much flow I allowed into that compartment,

and if I placed it in the refugium, beneficial substance for the mains would be skimmed off????

Anyone like to give me a proper suggestion???

Phang

• SRC Member

If all the water flow goes through the skimmer than would the flowrate of the sump go down? Just wondering. I think that the skimmer would be best placed after the refugium if you are going to keep macroalgae in ther, then can take out their cell fluids if the stems/leaves are broken. I think pods could get through the skimmer?

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Did a water test yesterday with the following results

PH : 8.4

Ammonia and Nitrite : Undetectable

Nitrates : 5 ppm

Calcium : 300 ppm....

Raised my Calcium level yesterday... would check nitrates and calcium levels again...

One question regarding Calcium... will there be calcium precipitation is the PH level is too high??

Would require a more accurate Test kit soon... read about this Salifert Test Kit... anyone knows where I'm able to get this and how much it is being retailed for??

• SRC Member

If pH is raised, naturally Calcium will precipitate if the level is also high.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

So How do you prevent precipitation.... lower the PH????

cause high PH is normally associated with high KH, rite???

And I think with low KH, Calcium utilisation by corals would be minimum ..... correct me if I'm wrong regarding this statement...

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Did a water test yesterday with the following results

PH : 8.4

Ammonia and Nitrite : Undetectable

Nitrates : 5 ppm

Calcium : 300 ppm....

Raised my Calcium level yesterday... would check nitrates and calcium levels again...

One question regarding Calcium... will there be calcium precipitation is the PH level is too high??

Would require a more accurate Test kit soon... read about this Salifert Test Kit... anyone knows where I'm able to get this and how much it is being retailed for??

Yes... one more thing, as I have shown interest in acros.... woudl the above parameters constitute a tank deserving of SPS...??

Seen some Acro milliporea at Pacific Marine just last week... was so tempted but refrained till now...... :(

BTW, My water temp is set at 27 C.....

Don't worry about PH precipitating your calcium!

At this point of time, your calcium levels are too low. I suspect your alk levels are too low.

Your alk needs to be consistently high with your PH... try to get it up to around 10 dKH if you wish to keep acros.

Your calcium levels won't go up if your KH is low.