No mechanical filtration

vin1011

• SRC Member

I dont run mechanical filtration. Nitrates consistently 0 and phosphates <0.03ppm.

But I do use it temporarily, like for one day, if I stir up the sand bed.

If you wish to rely on mechanical filtration as an export mechanism, need change frequently, every few days.

New roller mat filters sound good, maybe try that if you have the space.

• SRC Member
I dont run mechanical filtration. Nitrates consistently 0 and phosphates But I do use it temporarily, like for one day, if I stir up the sand bed.
If you wish to rely on mechanical filtration as an export mechanism, need change frequently, every few days.
New roller mat filters sound good, maybe try that if you have the space.

I have remove my filter socks too as lazy to wash every few days for a month now. So far everything ok. But want to check if anyone does the same and any potential issues. Btw what system are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

You can check out the Triton showroom at Sin Min. Last i recall they were running without filter sock/wool. Water goes straight to refugium/chaeto area before flowing to skimmer compartment. Able to maintain very low nutrient levels.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Thanks all for the reply and recommendation. Currently I’m using zeovit stone, zeobak, zeostart, zeozym and CS. Good suggestion on biomate. Will read up more on it. Now I feel more encouraged to go without using mechanical filtration at all. Keep the reply coming in and share your method so that we can learn from one another. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Each piece of equipment/additive should have a clear purpose.

Mechanical filtration can be used as a nutrient export method(like a skimmer removing organics before they break down) or just simply to remove particulate matter from the water.

You already have a robust nutrient export method based on carbon dosing via the zeovit system. So mechanical filtration will serve the latter purpose in your system.

I dont worry about detritus(im thinking of organic particulate matter) building up in my system. Skimmer and carbon is there to remove the dissolved organic compounds and those that are not removed, when broken down into ammonia and then oxidised to nitrate will be assimilated by the bacteria. 

You want to worry about detritus if it is accumulating in a low flow area and when disturbed can lead to a sudden large amount of organic material being decomposed. Keeping your sump free of dead zones help.

Practically, I use filter wools/socks to remove sediments when I stir up the sand bed.