Problem cooling my reef tank

AlfaRomeo

If you see the post on the review I've done on the chiller then you'll note that it just need 2 hrs to cool the tank by 1.6 degs previously but now takes more than 8 hrs to cool 1.2 degs.

Improve the performance? I took out one submersed pump and replaced with another one which works externally. Open the windows for more ventilation. If not I think it'll run 24 hrs a day :P

that is why I mentioned measuring the temp difference (delta) and that will give you a very good picture of the chiller performance. No need to sit there for hrs waiting for the temp to drop.

I am glad that I have a chiller running. If I were to be on fans I think the temp would have surge to maybe 30 degs :P

• SRC Member
If you see the post on the review I've done on the chiller then you'll note that it just need 2 hrs to cool the tank by 1.6 degs previously but now takes more than 8 hrs to cool 1.2 degs.

Improve the performance? I took out one submersed pump and replaced with another one which works externally. Open the windows for more ventilation. If not I think it'll run 24 hrs a day :P

hmm.. then seem like my 4 hrs of cooling 1 degree still reasonable... :lol:

maybe can try put 4 DC fan on the front and blown on the chiller...

I find this useful as u can feel really cold air blowning in and those hot air at the back of the chiller will be spead out into the house but not at your front of your chiller..

thus increase the performance...

• SRC Member

oh..this is scary..you chiller is like running non-stop for 4-8hrs?

This make me very worry...electrical bill is one issue, and the other issue will be the heat generated from the chiller.

then my Room can be a REAL sauna room already! :(

• SRC Member

hmm.. then seem like my 4 hrs of cooling 1 degree still reasonable... :lol:

maybe can try put 4 DC fan on the front and blown on the chiller...

I find this useful as u can feel really cold air blowning in and those hot air at the back of the chiller will be spead out into the house but not at your front of your chiller..

thus increase the performance...

hmm about 15W per DC fan...

thinking of putting a timer to it and will only on when MH is on...

as this is the part where chiller sure run one...

else when chiller not running the fan blowning also useless...

• SRC Member
Hon, you using the IKS to control the chiller?

Yap. The chiller, chiller pump and exhaust fan are controlled by IKS. I set the IKS controller to 27.8, it will start cooling from 27.8 down to 27.5 and cut off. But the hot weather is making the chiller temp hanging at 27.8... ;) until the photoperiod is off ... burning $$$ manz

Maybe have to set it to 30.1 and cool to 27.8 for the few month in order to let the chiller rest for a brief moment before burning up the compressor.

By the way, any idea can the chiller compressor run non-stop for 14-16hrs with enough air ventilation???

• SRC Member
if it's an AC fan then you could connect it to the temp controller then once the compressor runs the fan will run too.

This sounds like a good solution :P

hmm this sound like a great idea...

but how or where i can get this temp controller..???

• SRC Member

There are many ways to do it.But the IKS can do much much more.If you just want to switch on the fans just get a external thermostat wired to the fans, but i think you can save much more money running the fans when lights are on only...not much difference IMO.Maybe HON should comment :P

• SRC Member

If you just want a temp controller to turn on chiller and external fan, you don't need a IKS system. A normal external temp control branch to a 4 way socket can do this trick.

• SRC Member

Well the weather is really crazy. During the weekend, the temp in my house hit 30deg indoor. Siao man. My chiller also working harder then usual. Takes bout 3hrs to drop my tank temp by 1 deg. 26.1 - 27.1. instead the usual 2-2.5hrs with the lights on. And the water take bout 1.5hr to raise by 1deg instead of 2hrs with lights on. sianz...

But since my chiller is 440watt, dont exspect too much an increase in elect bill due to the chiller. The increase should be result of my rooms aircon being on most of the time!! ke ke....

But 1.25 should be more than enough. You mean your temp goes up even with the chiller running? Maybe should get doc chill to check it out.

• SRC Member
Hi Guys, i have a problem with cooling the tank nowadays.

My tank is a 6*2.5*2.5 with a 3*1.5*1.5 sump.

Have 3 x 250w MH which are about 8inches off the water.

2 x 6100 tunze in the main tank at 30%-100% pulsing every 7 seconds

MD55 to power the skimmer and 2 eheim pumps as return. all pumps are external.

Currently using a 1.25Ti RR chiller.

The chiller is set at 27 degress but when the lights come on , it will slowly creep up.

Chiller is very very hot to the touch when its running. CHiller is placed in a cupboard next to the tank with its doors wide open and a floor fan blowing at it but still cannot reduce the temperature of the water

Any suggestion on how to improve cooling pls? Thanks

1)Check chiller inlet pump for plugged or dirty debris/foam.

2)Try doing a backwash, allowing the chiller outlet water from the tank to flow backwards into your sump for 10mins to clear away any deposits inside the chiller tubings.

3)Run back the chiller and check for outlet pressure/flow, should not be too high(not enuff time for heat exchange) or too low(cannot cope with the temp. increase).

Eric