Sea water from LFS

• SRC Member

hi all, my fren told me that the sea water that LFS sells are really from the sea....anyone can verify?

if not, where did they get their sea water from? by mixing with marine salt? if so how come so cheap?

how good are their sea water compared to wat we commonly use(mixed with marine salt) for our aquariums?

any realiable LFS selling sea water tat anyone recommend?

i only know T95's sea water goes thru a UV tube before selling....

• SRC Member

Assuming the seawater the LFS obtains is clean and the LFS does the proper filtration procedures to remove any possible harmful stuff, the only problem about buying water from LFS is the transportation.

Whereas for mixing your own, you can be certain the water used is clean and you have control over what kind of salt is to be used.

So, IMO, i think mixing your own is safer.

• SRC Member

sea water has certain trace elements that salt mixes dunt have. yes, its higher in nutrient but the decison is up to oneself ;)

let me give u an example.... my gonipora did nt even open when i used synthetic salt. but when i changed to natural seawater, it bloomed and thrived. it survived for 4mnths on saltmixes then it closed up.nt opening for 1mnth. but after i change to NSW, it recovered :lol:

however be warned that water from the sea may contain parasites that can cause dieseases such as whitespot. its at your own risk. but IMHO i believe in gg natural. further more, the salt mixex try as much as possible to produce the saltwater closes to that of NSW... y nt just use the real thing.

NSW has some amt of plankton but synthetic saltmixes does nt. nt to mention the certain trace elements that cant be extracted from the sea.

• SRC Member
I don't have a RO unit, so when i mix the salt water, my N03 is near to 40ppm. Those from LFS is about <10ppm....so to save the hassle, i just buy from them..... :)

where r u located and what salt r u using? 40ppm of fresh mix SW is far too high.... i stay in Yishun and I'musing Coralife salt... so far, the nitrate level of my fresh SW mix is not anything higher than 5ppm.

• SRC Member

where r u located and what salt r u using? 40ppm of fresh mix SW is far too high.... i stay in Yishun and I'musing Coralife salt... so far, the nitrate level of my fresh SW mix is not anything higher than 5ppm.

stay in tampines. measure the No3 straight of the tap....before mixing with salt....use a Sera test kit, suppose to be for both fresh and salt water. Or do i have to mix in the salt and then test? would the NO3 be lower then?

sea water has certain trace elements that salt mixes dunt have. yes, its higher in nutrient but the decison is up to oneself ;)

Actually, the amount of trace elements and heavy metals in saltmix is a LOT higher than NSW.

let me give u an example.... my gonipora did nt even open when i used synthetic salt. but when i changed to natural seawater, it bloomed and thrived. it survived for 4mnths on saltmixes then it closed up.nt opening for 1mnth. but after i change to NSW, it recovered :lol:

That's because Gonioporas are often found in higher nutrient waters eg. green water. Saltmixed water is just cleaner.

however be warned that water from the sea may contain parasites that can cause dieseases such as whitespot. its at your own risk. but IMHO i believe in gg natural. further more, the salt mixex try as much as possible to produce the saltwater closes to that of NSW... y nt just use the real thing.

NSW is not practical for many of us who live in apartments and have bigger tanks.

NSW may also contain pollutants which our test kits can't measure. Our local waters aren't exactly like Hawaii's. ;)

NSW has some amt of plankton but synthetic saltmixes does nt. nt to mention the certain trace elements that cant be extracted from the sea.

I believe the composition of NSW has been analysed many times already. Saltmix is formulated to provide a lot more calcium, trace elements than NSW. That is why we face the danger of heavy metal accumulation in our reef tank's LR and sandbed causing a tank crash aka Old Tank Syndrome.

Anyway, you should do a search on NSW vs saltmix in SRC... we have lots of info there already and its pointless and tiring to repeat over and over again! ;)

AT

• SRC Member
If you can detect that much nitrates, something seems to be wrong possibly with the testkit. According to the PUB report on water quality abstracted from the PUB website itself, nitrates in our tapwater is way below 40ppm.

Water Quality

maybe i should sound the alarm for those living in tampines... :rolleyes:

but the funny thing is that measuring the NO3 from NSW seems to indicate a NO3 level of 5-10ppm....I don't think the test kit is wrong...but nevermind, will test the tap water again.....i might be doing this the wrong way.... :P

AT, ur tank so big.....require lots of water

so which supply u use.... salt mix or sea water ah

Hehe... my tank is not as big as some people's... ;)

Double-decker 6ft tanks! My LH crazy neighbours!

I use saltmix. Coralife.