New tank set-up

Hi all,

Have set-up a new tank (3x1.5x1.5 ft) and have been cycling for about 1 weeks. Checked the parameters today and below is the readings:

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 1.25

I am using canister filter, no skimmer yet, planning to get one later. Have about 25kg of LR. Can i start to add in fishes now?

Also, observed water surface have a layer of "contaminants". How do i effectively remove them? Surface skimmer can help?

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11737

Did you test every day of the first week for ammonia and nitrite?

A week is too short to be true, unless you used very cured LR & water from an established tank and if there's very little die-off, there could be sufficient bacteria present causing the tiny amounts of ammonia & nitrite to be easily converted to nitrate, thus making the tank seemed cycled in a short time.

The risk of a very short cycle would you start stocking up quickly... your bacteria count may not be in sufficient amounts to deal with the sudden influx of ammonia from the metabolic wastes of the bioload/feeding, causing a crash.

Therefore, IMO, the best way to kickstart the cycle would be to induce a sufficient ammonia source to get a good reading, shocking enough bacteria growth of the right kind to start bringing down the various stages of the tank cycling.

Don't add too much ammonia source or you'll have a tank crash also.... I have heard stories of people putting a packet of tiger prawns and half a table-sized fish into their tank, causing the whole house to stink! LOL! :ph34r:

• SRC Member

A week is too short to be true, unless you used very cured LR & water from an established tank and if there's very little die-off, there could be sufficient bacteria present causing the tiny amounts of ammonia & nitrite to be easily converted to nitrate, thus making the tank seemed cycled in a short time.

The risk of a very short cycle would you start stocking up quickly... your bacteria count may not be in sufficient amounts to deal with the sudden influx of ammonia from the metabolic wastes of the bioload/feeding, causing a crash.

Therefore, IMO, the best way to kickstart the cycle would be to induce a sufficient ammonia source to get a good reading, shocking enough bacteria growth of the right kind to start bringing down the various stages of the tank cycling.

Don't add too much ammonia source or you'll have a tank crash also.... I have heard stories of people putting a packet of tiger prawns and half a table-sized fish into their tank, causing the whole house to stink! LOL! :ph34r:

wah they think the cycling an olympic size swimming pool ah???

• SRC Member

wah they think the cycling an olympic size swimming pool ah???hahhaha

anyway, u should get a surface skimmer (i think $15 can get liao) to attach it with your canister...the layer is toxic, i think it should be undissolved protein (not very sure) it prevents air from mixing with your water, so gotta remove them....

Hi Achilles Tang,

Thanks for ur precious advise. You r right. Most of my LR are cured one, from my previous tank which has crashed. Measured the water parameters today:

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 1.5mg/l

NO2 - 0mg/l

NO3 - 1.25mg/l

Think i will monitor for another 2 weeks or so before i take any action. Dun want my tank to crash agian.