Sally lightfoot crabs

:rolleyes: As above?

Aside from their spider like appearances... what's the feedback on these crabs?

I believe they are seldom imported but now they are pretty common now in SG.

What's the verdict on these crabs?

Pls share your experiences,

AT

fRIEnD! So far never attack any of my fish..not even docile pipefish nor snack sized gobies nor snack sized shrimps..left my clam and tubeworms alone....They are not as active scavengers compared to hermits. I noticed hermits are more easily drawn to carcasses compared to sally lightfoots..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Hmmm..I had some attached to some sps frags...but then like no more already...the only place I find bryopsis now is on the internal box of my I-box....whereby the sally lightfoots can't access. :lol: Basically they eat most type of algae...read from somewhere they even eat halimeda! :blink:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

bought these babies and they certainly do a good job to say the least and I am very pleased with their algae eating habits. They even do stun jobs even on the outlet of the return nozzle to the main tank... :lol:

don't regret buying these for sure....byropsis , diatoms etc. are their breakfast , lunch and dinner....slurp!... :lol:

helped clean out my sump area too.

post-7-1081237170.jpg

hmmm.... any more positive reports?

My one-armed Emerald Crab seems to do a good job on Valonia but not on Bryopsis.

I want something to get rid of isolated patches of Bryopsis once and for all.

• SRC Member

Well...hope they live up to wat they will perform. :rolleyes: Wan them to makan my bryopsis :evil:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

they're light footed (hence their name) agile and non aggresive and very comical / amusing to watch. :)

a whole piece of LR was infected with bryosis and was pretty worried when I was beaten out to get the crabs for the first time.... :lol:

But now together with my lawnmower and sally lightfoots they make a formidable team in keeping my reef algae free.... ;)

heard that emerald crabs will turn predatory in the end with their much larger pincers..... :o not the sally light foots as I have 2 large ones in the main reef system with small fishes in there too. head count they're all still there..... :lol:

never seen my reef that clean looking..... :whistle

• SRC Member
How big are these crabs? they look (in the photos) to be quite big... especially with their extended legs...

they come in various sizes so you can pick the smallest if you like. The photo's are enlarged for a close up so they look scary and huge... :lol: The small ones I chose were 2 inches across from leg to leg

• SRC Member

I have quite a few, but y did attack my small bali ocellaris clown, but probably because the fella was quite sick and going to die, so the sallys think he is dead.

In my other tank, they can do try to catch my cleaner and fire shrimps when they swim close to the sally, but the sallys never did actively hunt them.

They do clean up some algae in my tank and they appear to be faster worker than my emerald crab.

• SRC Member
My ###### has grown quite big now about 1.5cm and very fat. Its one of my prized asset which has followed me thru right from the start.

Want to be sure that these Sally will not be a threat to them. Else I would rather forget about them.

if you're afraid then it's better you don't because no one can predict the behaviour of these marine creatures....one minute they're like that and the next different.... :)

• SRC Member
strange that they seem to want to attack your fishes because I have smaller gobies in my reef system and they're left alone by the SLF's. No problem with them being aggresive.... ;)

Maybe I got the more aggressive specimen. :P

But surprisingly, the ###### shrimps in the same tank remains untouched. I always do a rollcall 2 times a day. They seem fine.

:D