My DIY Skimmer: af648

alvy

• SRC Member

Looks pro! Can the outlet handle the flow and where's the drain for the collection cup?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Heh heh....

been looking for the MD 55 but shops claim no such model...... :blink:

BTW, nice DIY........ looks cool........ :yeah:

Buy direct from Iwaki Singapore.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Guess what? My Aquamedic Oceanrunner 6500 can't provide enough 'oomph'.... :) inspite of pushing 6500litres per hour.

It's simply too under-pressured rated. It's foaming but not providing max efficiency. Probably pushing around +/- 4500 litres due to backpressure.

I need an Iwaki! <_< Damn, there goes my electrical bill... 200watts? x 24/7.

The Alvyfoamer 648 looks very impressive and very well-made... kudos to Alvy for his excellent workmanship. I'll be doing a proper product review once I get the proper pump to run it well. But simply... it's acrylic, laser-cut, looks very professional and not the typical DIY job using 'clear but actually cloudy' PVC.

• SRC Member

AT: i suggest u find a stable stand for the skimmer..raise it higher so that the water column is higher than the water level of the sump...at the discharge corner in the sump, ensure that the pipe goes in all the way into the water so that a siphon is created..this will greatly increase the outflow from the valve and the water column within the skimmer will be drained low for maintenance.

If I raise it higher... this skimmer is gonna be taller than me! :)

I need a stool to remove the collection cup! LOL!

Thanks, Alvy... I'm gonna decide on the position later when I fix up the new pump first. Can't wait for 'milk colour' but I am already seeing 'dirt' collecting on the walls... from just the sump water and current pump.

alvyfoamerfoam.jpg

Clean foam.

alvyfoamerfoam2.jpg

After one hour, drawing water from sump only.

alvyfoamerfoam3.jpg

After 4 hours, drawing water from sump only.

alvyfoamerfoam4.jpg

That much gunk from sump water? My sump was disconnected from my main tank for about 1 week. Well, it did smell a little stale... :P

alvyfoamerfoam5.jpg

See coke bottle in background for an idea of the size! :)

Can't wait to put my main tank online with the sump and have my skimmer start working on getting my water cleaned up...it's been too long a wait!

Anyone with lobangs for cheap Iwaki?

Heh... yeah... I know.. but I still haven't got the tubing for the overflow collection runoff... don't want to have skimmate on my floor!

Morgan just came to my place with Spade to test-run a MD55 on it, it produced more foam but the input rubber hose collapsed to a smaller diameter due to me sticking another smaller hose inside so it can draw water from the sump, so that may have been the problem... It was simply too short.

I am gonna get hard piping to run it with my new pump, maybe going to Hai Cheong tomorrow.

My main tank should be enjoying cleaner water starting Thursday! :)

HUh??? :blink:

morgan's input hose of 1" is too short, so it couldn't extend all the way into my sump. So I stuck a smaller diameter hose into it to extend it.

Now water can enter the pump but that also means the the 1" hose has lesser water entering it due to the smaller diameter hose ie. more pressure created... thus it began to collapse due to suction pressure... maybe that is why the optimum level of foam produced is not there.

Geddit? Oih... how come you couldn't make it last nite?

Your wish is my command.

here's the Alvyfoamer 648 hooked up to the sump for the breaking-in period.

alvyfoamerbreakingin.jpg

About 8 hours ago, I got the sump reconnected back to the maintank, did a water change and the skimmer hooked up... and here's the result.

alvyfoamerfoam8hrs.jpg