my crazy MONSTER skimmer

blueheaven

hi guys,

after my first DIY skimmer, i got inspired to make a monster out of a skimmer. so i pondered a whole day and came up with this: The Skimster :evil::evil:

the water is passed through a beckett nozzle and enters a mixing chamber.

at the bottom, a needlewheel pump is used to cut the bubbles to a very fine size and injected to my skimmer box.

the foamy water then passes through a venturi valve and spiral into a tube.

then the foam will be separated from the water by a baffle and viola! the skimster is born. :lol::lol:

post-9-1080659122.gif

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

i will be completing the prototype around May so i will keep u guys updated :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

bluehaven

Just want to know how you going to connect the outlet of the beckett to the inlet of the needlewheel pump?

Not very sure about the venturi valve, but if the inlet water body already contain very fine bubbles, will there be any effect of further 'chopping' up of the bubbles in the venturi? Wondering what will be the size of the bubbles at outlet. Normally water entering a venturi valve is often 'full bodied' ie without any bubbles.

My 2 cents.

hi guys,

after my first DIY skimmer, i got inspired to make a monster out of a skimmer. so i pondered a whole day and came up with this: The Skimster :evil::evil:

the water is passed through a beckett nozzle and enters a mixing chamber.

at the bottom, a needlewheel pump is used to cut the bubbles to a very fine size and injected to my skimmer box.

the foamy water then passes through a venturi valve and spiral into a tube.

then the foam will be separated from the water by a baffle and viola! the skimster is born. :lol::lol:

This Skimmer would be a expensive one... Using beckett, needlewheel and venturi all in one...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

juz adding a little comment

u will need the needle wheel pump to be a very strong one, if not the beckette pump might be too strong and thus rendering the needle wheel pump useless....

since the beckette already produce a lot of bubbles, y not switch the needlewheel pump to the left side instead? with this, the water that is supposed to escape thru the return will be circulated again.and also this way the beckette's bubble will not collide with the needlewheel's bubbles, i'm afraid the collision will join the bubbles to form big bubbles which are not very useful...

juz my suggestion....

• SRC Member

i'm not that convinced that a hybrid like that will work. not to spoil your enthusiasm but the needlewheel could even potentially disrupt the performance of the beckett.

it's the concept behind the beauty of each type of skimmer and not putting all different types into one hybrid system.

well. you never know until u succeed. hope to hear more of your success story soon.

cheers

• SRC Member
i'm not that convinced that a hybrid like that will work. not to spoil your enthusiasm but the needlewheel could even potentially disrupt the performance of the beckett.

it's the concept behind the beauty of each type of skimmer and not putting all different types into one hybrid system.

well. you never know until u succeed. hope to hear more of your success story soon.

cheers

yah, i do agree with planetg, the needlewheel will disrupt the operation of the beckette or vice versa....

if u are very keen on mixing everything together i would suggest that they are placed seperately and not lumped together....it might be better that way....

i'm not very good in DIY, failed in 2 attempts to DIY H&S, wasted lotsa money already....still trying to modify my atomic bomb( that's wat my gf calls it as it is damn huge)......but it is juz my experience so far...

looks like the needlewheel has to cause a lot of trouble. :lol::lol:

so i think i would omit the needlewheel or at most use it to recirculate the water.

about the ventri working with bubble filled water, i have checked with my physics lecturer and he said that it will still work.

i decided to come up with this design because i noticed that many beckett skimmers do not have maximum contact time with the water.

i will post an updated picture tonight and i wish that you guys will help me along on this project. :lol:

:thanks: again guys

of course not la, i using it on my school project.

u see, i noe many of you say that the beckett is more than enough but i want to really drive those junk out of the water in the shortest time possible so i am sourcing ways to maximise the total concept of a skimmer. thats y u see me having to make a hybrid.

:lol::lol::lol:

u sure? i will still try anyway cause using sch $$$ not mine. :evil::evil:

• SRC Member

If one beckett isn't enough why not two instead??

Or better still (for lower power consumption and lower costs) use several maxijets or ehiem 1260s modded with pinwheels to chop up more bubbles...

To me it seems a more logical solution than a hybrid... but as the spirit of experimentation goes, just try loh....

i would easily settle for a dual or even triple beckett but the theme of the project is to experiment and investigate so no choice