Best Combination of MH

yazid

• SRC Member

I've read so many discussion on MH and still could not decide the best combination of MH bulbs.

With so many MH bulb brands, choice of Color temperature, the need to have aesthetic look. I guess everyone have their own preference.

I would not know my preference until I have the chance to test all the combination.

So could those guys using MH could list their combination and mention their likes and dislikes.

I hope at the end of the day, I'll able to evaluate the best and affordable combination when I DIY my new set of MH.

I'll start first.

1x 150W HQI OSRAM 10K DE.

- Too Yellowish. I don't like. MY 2x Actinic Fluoro could not offset the yellow.

1x 150W HQI Venture 10K DE.

- White with slight blue. I like it. I blew the second bulb thus stuck with the yellow.

Anyway, 150W not good enough for SPS.

• SRC Member

Just stumble upon Garf website.

New Age Lighting: Blue Moon and Triton (Better than MH?)

Triton is the first aquarium light made just for the aquatic field-- for the purpose of promoting optimum plant growth in freshwater aquaria and the same tube for hard and soft coral growth as well as Caulerpas in marine aquaria. The "actinic blue" is included in the same tube!

Triton has the highest light output of any fluorescent tube used in aquarium lighting-- TWICE AS BRIGHT! This can reduce the number of tubes required to achieve optimum results. Significantly longer effective life than other tubes (over 7500 hours) with a minimum fall-off in light output over this time.

WE GROW MANY OF THE BEST COLORED SMALL POLYP STONY CORALS USING TRITONS AND BLUE MOONS

Triton gives gorgeous true color rendering bright or brighter than metal halide lighting--watt for watt; and it will even grow red plants as red as outdoors--green plants more gorgeous than you have ever grown before.

Triton continues to provide superb lighting right up to the time to replace it--when it ACTUALLY SHUTS OFF, because the light is no longer truly effective for the purpose you purchased it.

Triton was developed by the leading aquatic experts from around the World and the lighting technology of Thorn EMI of England--under the direction of Dr. Neville Carrington of Interpet, Ltd. This is the best lighting that you will find today and for the future!!

Blue Moon Reef fluorescent tubes are the latest development in blue reef lighting.

Unlike actinic tubes, which were not made for aquarium use, Blue Moon Reef fluorescent tubes were developed especially for reef aquariums in England by G.E.-Thorn after extensive research and development by Interpret.

WE ARE GROWING OVER ONE HUNDRED SIXTY REEF AQUARIUM SPECIES

WITH TRITON AND BLUE MOON BULBS

Blue Moon

Blue Moon Reef tubes provide better fluorescence than standard actinic tubes and improve coral growth. And they are effective twice as long (5000 hours) as actinic tubes!

Blue Moon Reef tubes are used by the championship marine aquariums of Europe - even in Holland, where the actinic tube originated.

While not essential to coral growth, especially if you are already using Triton fluorescent tubes, professionals and hobbyists alike appreciate the dramatic "dawn to dusk" effect they get with Blue Moon Reef tubes.

Blue Moon Reef tubes are compatible with Triton and other tubes.

I would not know my preference until I have the chance to test all the combination.

So could those guys using MH could list their combination and mention their likes and dislikes.

I hope at the end of the day, I'll able to evaluate the best and affordable combination when I DIY my new set of MH.

I'll start first.

1x 150W HQI OSRAM 10K DE.

- Too Yellowish. I don't like. MY 2x Actinic Fluoro could not offset the yellow.

1x 150W HQI Venture 10K DE.

- White with slight blue. I like it. I blew the second bulb thus stuck with the yellow.

Anyway, 150W not good enough for SPS.

OK here's mine.....

1 x 250W Iwasaki.....

likes.... high PAR... a must if you wan growth...

dislike..... very.... extremely yellow....

2 x 400W Bluelines....

Likes..... a very nice blue... and helps in balancing the yellows from the sakis....and helping the SPS gain good colouration

Dislike.... hmmmm... think their PAR is a little low so will be intending to covert to Radiums.... till Robe secure his contacts....

B)

Hello, I changed my account as my old one went dead. It's the same person as the previous Chris, with the same avatar.

I went ot EYE and checked out the Iwasakis. The manager mentioned that a lot of people ask for 250W or 400W but he thinks it is not necessary. He recommended 150W 20000K SE with E27 socket. He switch one for me and it comes with a tint of blue and I like it. Any advice?

• SRC Member

Is it true 250W 10K DE IWASAKI not yellow and looks more aesthetically pleasing? I got this info from reef central.

Phang, how is your 250W Iwasaki? Is it yellow? Or is yours 6500K?

Is it true 250W 10K DE IWASAKI not yellow and looks more aesthetically pleasing? I got this info from reef central.

Phang, how is your 250W Iwasaki? Is it yellow? Or is yours 6500K?

Iwasaki 250Ws come in 6500k only....

If you wanna bluish white tone to your reef, then you can opt for the 150W 20kk bulbs...

they come in DE and SE...

250Ws only in SE.....

lighting in the 6500k spectrum tends to be yellow.....

esp/ sakis.... needs lots of blue to counteract the yellowish tinge...

• SRC Member

Yazid,

GARF uses VHO or NO FL tubes only. They don't like MH and prefer to spend more money on VHO. Weird.

AB 10000 DE is a nice bulb. It's white with slight blue compared to Ushio/BLV 10000K. Go for a 250W DE!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Yazid,

GARF uses VHO or NO FL tubes only. They don't like MH and prefer to spend more money on VHO. Weird.

AB 10000 DE is a nice bulb. It's white with slight blue compared to Ushio/BLV 10000K. Go for a 250W DE!

I have the 10K AB 250 watt bulb. Its a great bulb. The only problem is that the local LFS don't carry it, only the 150W version. So when I had to change the bulb, had to order from the U.S. at 100USD with shipping. It's suppose to last 6000 hours, according to AB, so thats almost 2 years of use.

• SRC Supporter

I have the 10K AB 250 watt bulb. Its a great bulb. The only problem is that the local LFS don't carry it, only the 150W version. So when I had to change the bulb, had to order from the U.S. at 100USD with shipping. It's suppose to last 6000 hours, according to AB, so thats almost 2 years of use.

Hi Pospeh,

DO this bulbs come single ended???

Phang