• SRC Member

What are you going to do?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I doubt it will. Maybe the good ol'quinine dip?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Dunno... probably get a 6-line or Halichoeres Chrysus. Some reefers say they work.

My six-line does not help.

I "harvest" them manually & regularly. Even when you think they are no more, they will be back, IME.

Maybe got to borrow THE wrasse from danano. It seems like his is a killer of those nudi.

The problem I have is some of my monti caps are encrusted already.. I don't know how to treat it without breaking it off the LR! :(

The smaller colonies can be treated by dips. One is almost 3/4 gone. The receding line has about 4 of these bugger on it. Disgusting. :angry:

Tried siphoning them... quite hard.

one of my monti was infested with these...luckily not encrusted onto rock.....I have to take it out to clean it every now and then...you can rid it of the parasites...but the eggs are too small to see..after a while they will be back :(

Tempted to do a fresh water dip after next cleaning :angry:

(I have to health check the monti every few days... <_< )

Just did a health check, yup, found some today :angry:

cleaned it and placed the whole monti in fresh water for a dip....if still doesnt work after this....probably got to go back to regular picking and crushing of parasites again :lol:

• SRC Member

LP, my wrasses work but only temporarily but like the rest of you, the nasty nudis keep coming back! :angry:

The moment I notice the smallest of white patches, I remove the infected piece/colony and I crush those little buggers, including the tiny eggs and all. You almost need a magnifying glass to see the eggs. I use my favourite screwdriver to do the culling. :evil:

AT, only sure way is to remove the whole colony and kill each and everyone of those critters. Before you do that, try a yellow canary wrasse.

I think all our tanks must have caught the bug from one of the WS shipments. Oh well. :(

The battle continues...

• SRC Member

Either way you are going to lose them. Better to hack some off to save a bit to grow in the future then to lose everything.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I read an article (I believe is by the boss of thesea.org) in either TFH or Adv Aq (can't remember which issue) @ the nudi.

It seems like these nudi uses the stinging cells of the coral (that they consumed) to defend itself from predators.

After monti (which is their favourite), they may go for Acros.

So far, only my monti cap, folio and encrusting monti are affected. Digi and others are not in their menu, yet.

so there is no way to effectively combat these little guy!!!

I dipped my monti in freshwater yesterday....looked a bit stressed last night... last night slightly better.....but seriously doubt this is effective... <_<

Think commensal crabs might defend their host against these nudis....There should be a species of nudi that will feed on this pest in nature. But I think no one really knows what it is...as nudis are not very well understood as yet by the aquarium trade..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
I HAVE ENCRUSTING MONTIS THAT I CAN'T REMOVE!!! AAARRGGGH!!!! I'm gonna lose them! :cry2:

Any views on this from the folks at RC?

AT, I suggest you pick up 2 or 3 yellow canary wrasses. Reef safe, IMO, and they may do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

The article @ the nudi can be found in Aquarium, March 2003, pg 140 written by Blane Perun. I found the magazine in Queenstown Library.

The author BELIEVE that lower temp and lower salinity level can halt the egg production.

Fresh water (same temp & ph as the tank water) dip of 5 minutes will kill the eggs and nudi (1 & 1/2 minutes is ineffective).

The nudi has no natural predator and he removed these nudi manually.

Increase ph, & using lugo and oomed solution did not seem to work.

Just killed 3-4 nudi last night on one of the monti frag (fragged because of the same problem). :(

All the best. :(