My Research Poster

Tanzy

• SRC Member

After whirling around the lab for half a year, tomorrow will be poster presentation and submission of dissertation. :lol:

This is a sneak preview of the A0 size poster I'll be presenting and I hope to get the much covorted poster prize, considering that I am up against little resistance. I can't change anything now as it has already been printed and laminated, so it's too late to correct mistakes but feedback will be useful for the future. .

It was done on Photoshop 7.0 and the EPS file was 1.08 GB!

どうぞ よるしく.

post-16-1079625447.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

AT,

Damn! Should have known to use MoMuse instead of that stupid leaf. :D

This is the third draft. The first one had a hot pink sakura background for the spring season to get as much attention but I figured that it won't sit well with those old foggies, so I switched to something more tame.

iewnehz,

This is the super summary! Maybe you will understand it better if you read my actual lab report. :P

kee,

Ja, good point, slight problem with the word colouring but on the poster the letters are 2 cm tall. I didn't want to use bright garish colour to spoil the natural theme.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Why not a funky marine fungus for the background....since the compound in question comes from one....

....and I though you only presented positive research results. Failures also can, ah? :P

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member
Why not a funky marine fungus for the background....since the compound in question comes from one....

....and I though you only presented positive research results.  Failures also can, ah? :P

Have you seen a marine fungus? They look like a lump of turd.

My supervisor will rip me to shreads tomorrow! She wants a positive result but I feel that this compound is too poor a candidate. NCI needs <4 mcg/mL for IC50 whereas this compound is 4.4 mcg/mL. Just slightly off but I think it's quite unremarkable considering that anticancer drugs work in the nano and pico grams range.

I'm just presenting my opinion. B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

I have to agree, it does look like a shampoo or shower gel ad, aimed at womenfolk, if I may add :P

You said it yourself, the cronies would not take to it.

What about an old fashion double helix or something ... lots of formulas :D

Fonts may be a little out of place though

• SRC Member
I have to agree, it does look like a shampoo or shower gel ad, aimed at womenfolk, if I may add

Tanzy's supervisor is "womenfolk" :eyebrow::lol:

My supervisor will rip me to shreads tomorrow! She wants a positive result

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

I think using grey & light orange/yellow as your font colours is a mistake... it doesn't jump out... the old fogies will be straining their eyes.

The words could have been easier seen if a rounder/broader font has been used instead of a thin & tall font.

• SRC Member

Hmm, ja, the font seems too anorexic. What's a good font to use? I hate TNR and Arial. <_< Do you design posters for people? :heh:

Last year was Helix overdose because it was 50 anniversary for the discovery of the DNA structure. Everywhere in KCL, you'll find helix posters and articles on it. My building is Franklin-Wilkins, named after 2 of the 4 researcher who help elucidate the structure.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Well ... tell them what they want to see and hear, odds are you will probably get their attention

If its helix they want, its helix they get ... provided they still have not gotten over it :P

Better, use someone / discovery close to their heart as background, now they listening ... ;)

Hmm, ja, the font seems too anorexic. What's a good font to use? I hate TNR and Arial. <_< Do you design posters for people? :heh:

Yup, as a matter of fact, I do design posters for people! ;)

How about impact or franklin gothic?

• SRC Member

How much do you charge?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

That's 1/3 of my printing cost for that damn thing! It's done already. Perhaps next time.

My poster looks kinda dark. I hope it's a bright and sunny day tomorrow.

What software do you use? Photoshop only lets me go up to 360dpi for A0 size. The poster looks dithered. What allows you to go up to 720 or more?

Below is the first draft background and the text were overlayed on with flower shapes. Looked real cheesy.

post-16-1079632966.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

It's spring right? There's a cherry tree outside my school in full bloom right now. 桜満開! It's whitish though. Maybe a picture tomorrow.

You must admit it's hard to ignore a poster with that kind of background.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Actually you don't need to save it as an EPS file... we (architecture students) send A1-A0 sized posters for printing all the time and a JPEG saved at a reasonable high quality will surfice... as for DPI 150 is okay, 200 is better 300 is too much...

Coz at A0, nobody is going to come <20cm from your panel, thus the small imperfections are negligible.. more so if you have large text...

Yup... but all the best for your submission..

• SRC Member
Actually you don't need to save it as an EPS file... we (architecture students) send A1-A0 sized posters for printing all the time and a JPEG saved at a reasonable high quality will surfice... as for DPI 150 is okay, 200 is better 300 is too much...

Coz at A0, nobody is going to come <20cm from your panel, thus the small imperfections are negligible.. more so if you have large text...

Yup... but all the best for your submission..

Thanks for the tip but I was wondering it photo quality posters are possible.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Professional money spender = Student.

post-36-1093875548.jpg