How many MH watt for SPS 4ft tank?

• SRC Member

Hi Expertise,

Currently, I'm want to growth SPS in my 4ft tank, size: 4ft x 1.5ft x 2ft(H). It is too beautiful!!!

I'm quite worry whether my 2x 150watt(10K) MH + 4 x PL(blue), is it sufficent enough to growth SPS?

What is the ideal temperature to maintain on my tank?

What is the ideal parameter interm of nitrate & etcs?

Can anyone pls give some advises on these area?

Thanks in advance. Regards

Ban

lights are not the most important thing into SPS. you have to do extensive research before even trying. ther are other factors like water currents, good husbandry skills, water parameters. your 150w MH is risky if you want to try. i would rather get 250 or even 400w MH.

please please please read up before trying.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

lights are not the most important thing into SPS. you have to do extensive research before even trying. ther are other factors like water currents, good husbandry skills, water parameters. your 150w MH is risky if you want to try. i would rather get 250 or even 400w MH.

please please please read up before trying.

Or Or Or else you will end up losing tons of money and also give up on sps.....

I find it strange! It is such a typical reply for any question with regard to keeping sps. For reefers who are ignorance, i can understand but when the question is so specified as to what light intensity is needed for a 4ft tank with 2ft depth, and what temp is needed and what water quality is ideal, then such reply seem ..?? :huh: Btw, no offense, know the intention is good but just feel funny from the standpoint of the person who is asking..

As to Ban's questions.. IMO, 250Wx2 (10k) + your existing PL (blue) will be able to keep/maintain nice sps colouration in 2ft depth. Temp is ideal at ~25-26C. I have seen many other reefers with success at <=28C max. Nitrate=0ppm ideally but have seen many other nice tanks at <5ppm. I have seen 1-2 mixed reef tanks at 20-50ppm with some sps but their polyps extension is not as great. Btw, dun forget about water current, calcium and dKH. They are important as well.

• SRC Member
I find it strange! It is such a typical reply for any question with regard to keeping sps. For reefers who are ignorance, i can understand but when the question is so specified as to what light intensity is needed for a 4ft tank with 2ft depth, and what temp is needed and what water quality is ideal, then such reply seem ..?? :huh: Btw, no offense, know the intention is good but just feel funny from the standpoint of the person who is asking..

As to Ban's questions.. IMO, 250Wx2 (10k) + your existing PL (blue) will be able to keep/maintain nice sps colouration in 2ft depth. Temp is ideal at ~25-26C. I have seen many other reefers with success at <=28C max. Nitrate=0ppm ideally but have seen many other nice tanks at <5ppm. I have seen 1-2 mixed reef tanks at 20-50ppm with some sps but their polyps extension is not as great. Btw, dun forget about water current, calcium and dKH. They are important as well.

Hi Chanbi,

BTW, my lighting is 2 x 150w(MH) instead of 2 x 250w.

I know it is quite difficult questions to answer.

But I want some option based on your experience.

That is more than enough for me?

Thanks

can explain more on the "good husbandry skills" ?

good husbandry skills like you take time to care for the condition of your tank, take time to painstakingly clean the glass from algae, make the extra effort to make sure that everthing is doing well.....

like a husband cares for his wife :lol::lol::lol:

I have kept them using 150w MH... it all depends on the depth of your tank or the positioning of your sps.

If ur tank has a depth of 3ft, 400wmh will still not be enough....

i totally agree. many beginners base their lightings on the watts per gallon scale only to find out that it is not enough. i have read a research report that considering the distance between the sun and earth, it takes aprox. 1000 degrees of sun to light up 300m of ocean :shock::shock::shock:

Hi Ban, i know u are using 2x150W and i have once went through that. Sps will be brown or green. Even frag taken from other reefers barely able to maintain it original colour. But well, it can be my water quality then. And not to forget that Dan is able to keep such nice colouration under T5 (120W for 2ft). But life will definitely be easier if u change it to 2x250W (i'm proposing and if u can support in term of $$ for electric bill and chiller).

I used to try to keep dKH at ~10-12. But again, there are a few successful sps reefers (exceptional to me) maintaining dKH at ~7-8.