calcium reactor questions....

sps_dude

• SRC Member

hi i just for 2 weeks been using a macro calcium reactor..... must say its quite good and simple to use..... but recently i was told that a calcium reactor would start working only after months of use ... is these true...... can expert calcium reactor gurus help...... any comments apprecieated./..... :thanks:

• SRC Supporter
hi i just for 2 weeks been using a macro calcium reactor..... must say its quite good and simple to use..... but recently i was told that a calcium reactor would start working only after months of use ... is these true...... can expert calcium reactor gurus help...... any comments apprecieated./..... :thanks:

Hmmm... interesting ...

Where did you get that from??

A Calcium Reactor should work as long as there is enough CO2 injected to reduce the pH of solution in the reactor chamber .... resulting in the dissolving of the Media...

Result would be effluent which registers higher in dkH and Ca....

Of course, other factors comes into play like the type of media... how efficient is the reactor etc .....

I'm no Reactor guru :P , only building them.... B)

Whoever told you that needs to learn how Calcium Reactors work.

You inject CO2 into a CR to lower PH.

Once PH drops to a level enough to dissolve calcium carbonate media, your CR is working.

You need to tune your reactor effluent outflow & your CO2 bubble count so that its not so fast that the CO2 doesn't have a chance to dissolve the media and not too slow that excess CO2 leading to very low PH may turn your media to mush.

it's a skimmer that takes time to break in...not a calcium reactor.

this is where the confusion lies

skimmers require a film build up to operate to their best, once this is acheived they function best, and when all contaminates have been removed from the interior surface

Paul