CNYE and I discovered I have Harlequin Shrimp fry!

Achilles Tang

As you guys know... I have a refugium.

As I was battling hair algae and cyano due to an undersized skimmer, I have shutoff my refugium (which was also overrun with nuisance algae) from my circulation system.

I suspected that when my macroalgae crashed (and I was too lazy to remove them immediately) inspite of my iron supplements... the nuisance algae happily used the excess nutrients instead to explode... anyway... my refugium has been neglected of late... no lights for the last 3 days (to kill cyano and hair algae) with my two harlequin shrimps inside(one which was pregnant when bought).

I knew the fry was released... but that was a few weeks ago... but just NOW... as I was looking into my refugium... I saw the biggest pod I ever saw... no wait! It wasn't a pod... it looked like a shrimp!!! A shrimp fry!!! Not just one... but a few!!!

It could only be the harlequins! :)

I fed the remainder of my live phytoplankton culture inside my refugium and it must have sustained them to this size! :)

Should I start a harlequin shrimp farm? :eyebrow:

Anyway, take a look at this photos.. hot off the press!

harlefry.jpg

Here's a closeup... with a baby snail above.

harlefry2.jpg

Another shot.

harlefry3.jpg

I also noticed some baby worms on the glass... and a flatworm!!! So it's true that higher temperatures do encourage their growth... my refugium no longer receives cold water.

harlefry4.jpg

Another shot.

harlefry5.jpg

Here's to give you an idea of the scale. The shrimp fry is the size of an adult brine shrimp.

I gave up trying to catch them... they scoot away faster than adult brine shrimp!!!

I am sure once I turn on the water circulation, they'll be gone... if they make it into the main tank... they'll be fish food in a flash!

:)

Uhh.... no intention to be the 'boss' here... not intending to break the record of being the first to raise harlequin shrimp to maturity either.. lol!

AT

• SRC Member
I gave up trying to catch them... they scoot away faster than adult brine shrimp!!!

I am sure once I turn on the water circulation, they'll be gone... if they make it into the main tank... they'll be fish food in a flash!

:)

Uhh.... no intention to be the 'boss' here... not intending to break the record of being the first to raise harlequin shrimp to maturity either.. lol!

AT

Imagine selling them at $30 each.. AT, how many did you say you saw? Hehehe

Time to get tunze wave system.. :P And probably fund your website too?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the update (15 days past)

Surprisingly, even with my neglect...

The harlequin fries have grown up fast... and they are darting around in my disconnected (from my main tank/sump circuit) refugium, surviving on the occasional phytoplankton that I throw in as well as the micro and macroalgae.

I spotted about 20 to 30 shrimps clinging on the walls/swimming near the surface. And there are some at the bottom of the tank amongst the algae.

Here are some pix!

harlefry1602.jpg

Apologies for the blurred shot, hard for the camera to focus at such poor lighting condition and shooting thru dirty glass. The long whitish objects with orange blobs are the shrimps.

harlefry1602-closeup.jpg

A good close-up of a shrimp.