Weight issues for large tanks/fish rooms in hdb/condos

Hi all!

I recently starting keeping marine fish again and got into reefing, and the poison has run extremely deep...

So, now, after a few months and with a new place to live coming up, I had initially decided to commission a 7ft x 3 x 2.5 (LxWXH) tank into a faux wall in the living room as a divider to another room. This was all very exciting till i realized I'm on the 8th floor and the floor might not hold 1-1.5 tons of weight...

My question to you awesome reefers is, have any of you kept a fish room or something a similar size in non-landed house situation? If so, how can i make sure the tank will not collapse the floor? I heard i can engage structural engineers and all that, but how much would that run and what else would i have to do? Permits?

Any thoughts of the situation would be great :) Thanks in advance!

*I have plans on making it a large sps dominated reef tank or predator reef tank! But if that size is not possible....i'll have to play around with other dimensions. Thanks!

• SRC Member

Quote from HDB Website:

The maximum weight of the total number of fish tanks (inclusive of water, sand and accessories) must not exceed 600 kg per room.

Wow..... how many of them fulfill this guideline ah ?

Ah! Okay, thanks for the replies guys! it will be a condo so hopefully the developers are okay with it...Now it's less about the length and more about how much weight it can hold i guess haha. and of course..it wont be the only tank in the house ;)