What care is required for blue sponge?

Nope.

Air bubbles trapped inside.. that is the main cause of sponge death.

Always try to pack them underwater. And place them in your tank inside the bag so there's no exposure to air.

Underwater... try squeezing the sponge lightly or tapping them to dislodge trapped air bubbles.

AT

• SRC Member

make sure there are some good water movement and keep them in the shaded areas of your tank , when you keep them close to your LR they tend to attach themselves and spread. These are filter feeders so a good supply of phytoplankton will do them good. They are also slow growers and leaving them exposed to too much light algae seem to take over..... :D this is when I first bought it and now it has spread over to the other LR's

post-6-1078893394.jpg

• SRC Member

I broke my Orange Sponge from its stem attached to a piece of small LR when a big LR fell on it,,Any remedy..Can Do Cuttings??

I heard from farm owner thatn Sponges can never grow in our tanks as it is 80 % protein but in our tank water..which is skimmed all the protein goes into our skimmer plus trace elements...hence the need for dosage..

BUt it can't grow??

• SRC Member
I broke my Orange Sponge from its stem attached to a piece of small LR when a big LR fell on it,,Any remedy..Can Do Cuttings??

I heard from farm owner thatn Sponges can never grow in our tanks as it is 80 % protein but in our tank water..which is skimmed all the protein goes into our skimmer plus trace elements...hence the need for dosage..

BUt it can't grow??

yes , it can grow and just do the normal routines in your reef system. Make sure it's firmly attached to something in order to regain a foothold... ;) Not true that it can't never grow in our reef systems as farm owners I don't think they're much into cultivating sponges... :D

BUt it can't grow??

Made of 80% protein?

I'll be eating sponges as a Weight Gainer supplement! :lol:

Which LFF told you that!

Sponges don't take proteins from the water... if it does, we will all be growing sponges in our sumps and throwing away our skimmers to keep our water clean.

Sponges feed on phytoplankton. The only dosing you should do for the growth of sponges in your tank is with phytoplankton.

AT

• SRC Member

The farm biggest farm amongst all other farms in a plot beside farm mart..donno the name...only impressed by the Quarentined fishes sign board :)

AT : could you help me out with the Ca test kit PM i sent u.

Well my orange sponge does't seem to grow ....but it did die..just broke up from its stem.

HOw do I reattach?? or Do cuttings like a book i have says.

??

• SRC Member
The farm biggest farm amongst all other farms in a plot beside farm mart..donno the name...only impressed by the Quarentined fishes sign board :)

AT : could you help me out with the Ca test kit PM i sent u.

Well my orange sponge does't seem to grow ....but it did die..just broke up from its stem.

HOw do I reattach?? or Do cuttings like a book i have says.

??

if it starts to die usually means there's no hope. The whole sponge will turn white in weeks. You can try cutting off the dead portion and place the good part onto a LR and let it grow and stick by itself.

A healthy sponge would grow quite fast.. provide liquid food, good water circulation (for food to be filtered by sponge) and strong lights.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Nope.

Air bubbles trapped inside.. that is the main cause of sponge death.

Always try to pack them underwater. And place them in your tank inside the bag so there's no exposure to air.

Underwater... try squeezing the sponge lightly or tapping them to dislodge trapped air bubbles.

AT

Man, time to go re-educate the LFS uncle. Ask him yesterday what happen? Somemore can tell me its okay if it is out of water.

I went there last Sunday and was looking at the anemone when one of the man approached me. I asked him what is it although I knew what it is and guess what he replied?............

Guy at the LFS: "{Alo Vera}!".

I left with a big grin on my face.

Like the bro earlier said " We have to take what they say with a pinch of salt". :-)

Cheers,

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

in what way did the anemone look like alo vera?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

he might even not know what an aloe vera looks like..:P

• SRC Member

Which LFS....uncle?? Arcane Hacker : I think you are misleading me by saying STRONG LIGHTS..Acanthurus told me place where low light else not grow!

There are abt 4 Farms before you reach Farmmart There is a big sign that says Marine Fishes...Out of the 4 there is one where there the tanks are sort of in a CAGE beside all the tanks for sale on the outside..

His fishes look the healthiest to me...among the 4 cos the Boss's young son can tell me a thing a two abt their quarentine methods..

I think my fishes died due to stress in my tank not cos they were not healthy specimens

• SRC Member
Which LFS....uncle?? Arcane Hacker : I think you are misleading me by saying STRONG LIGHTS..Acanthurus told me place where low light else not grow!

There are abt 4 Farms before you reach Farmmart There is a big sign that says Marine Fishes...Out of the 4 there is one where there the tanks are sort of in a CAGE beside all the tanks for sale on the outside..

His fishes look the healthiest to me...among the 4 cos the Boss's young son can tell me a thing a two abt their quarentine methods..

I think my fishes died due to stress in my tank not cos they were not healthy specimens

before I had seahare eating up the sponge, I had the sponge and strong lights to go with it.. it grew very fast and over another rock..

be very sure what you know or mean before you make senseless accusations like "you are misleading me". :angry:

• SRC Member

Arcane...no need to fight :)

We are all just discussing here. Sorry if I offended

Reason why I thought you were wrong...NOT that I know better was that I got a few feeback from reefers here that sponges should bot be in high light area..

But anyway you experience tells you other wise...

Just like they say Goniapora will die in less than half year..mine still going strong after 4 ++ mths in high light.

so sometimes exceptions do happen

• SRC Member
Arcane...no need to fight :)

We are all just discussing here. Sorry if I offended

Reason why I thought you were wrong...NOT that I know better was that I got a few feeback from reefers here that sponges should bot be in high light area..

But anyway you experience tells you other wise...

Just like they say Goniapora will die in less than half year..mine still going strong after 4 ++ mths in high light.

so sometimes exceptions do happen

hehe .. sorry if I sound too harsh.. really I put my sponge under direct PL lightings .. my 2feet not very deep but I still place the sponge quite high up.