Is 12mm thick glass safe for 5ft tank?

patrick123

• SRC Member

ah^siao,

I think in that case, you have to use a fiber glass tank liao. hehehe

Joke aside, but for 15 to 20 ft long, I think the glass will have to be very thick, may be 20mm or more.

Also, I think for tank of this size are usually in the public aquarium and most of the time, they will be using cement reinforced concrete on 3 side, and only the glass panel in front. Also, the front glass panel is reinforced by the surrounding concrete.

Are you planning to build one? Will be interested to go visit your aqurium after it is done.

Cheers,

Patrick

• SRC Member

The whole ideal of euro bracing is to strengthen the strength of glass without making it thicker. The standard safety chart is meant for tanks without bracing. eg. for a 6ft tank without bracing, due the the length of the front glass panel, the glass will tend to bow. but by adding a top brace parallel to the front face, you are increasing the strength (same as using thick glass) without actually using thicker glass. Put another horizontally and you further reduce the chance of bow as it prevent the 2 long face from bowing.

If you are really kiasu like I am, put 12mm bracing at the bottom of the tank and the bottom thickness ate the bottom edge becomes 24mm. and the chance of leaking is further reduce.

But the most important thing is get a very strong stand!! if the stand bow, even if you us 15mm glass, the silicon seal at the bottom edge can be compromise and the tank can leak. Jus think, you can have a strong tank, but it is still supported by the stand. If the centre of the stand start bending, there is no support at the middle of the tank and this can cause the silicone to give way over time and the seal broken.

• SRC Member

Ah Siao, if you want to build a large tank, the depth is more important to the length. If you have a 20ft tank with shallow depth, it will look like a 2D painting. But if you have a 6ft tank with 3ft depth, it will look like a 3D imagine. Try it.

Cheers,

Patrick

• SRC Member

Hi patrick123,

I would strongly recommend u to go for the 15mm glass for the 3ft width. The amt of pressure is very high.

All tanks I made have all round, top & bottom thick euro-bracing & dow corning silicon. The bottom will be secure, but not yr middle to top of yr tank. I, myself wouldn't even dare to go for 12mm. Wat u will get is glass warp ard the center or worst, tank start to open up. U can go for at least 5"-6" width 12mm-15mm euro-bracing & center bracing. However, yr glass will still warp abit.

Unless yr tankmaker can assure u & write in black & white that he can assure u the tank will not warp or open up, go for it. At least u are covered. If not, this is a 2-3K risk u gonna take.

Cheers!

Wei :)