Is 12mm thick glass safe for 5ft tank?

patrick123

• SRC Member

I'm planning to order a 5ft x 3ft (width) x 2.5ft (height). This works out to be 1 ton of salt water.

I have got several quotes from different supplier. However, I was told by some supplier that 12mm is not safe for 5ft tank of this size. I should go with 15mm thickness glass.

Others will say that it is ok if there is euro bracing and reinforcement along the side. What is your opinion?

I'm worried about possible leakage or warp of tank that will flood my living room.

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member
Read this.

Its not only about the length, height is an important factor also.

Hope this help

JC

JC is absolute correct, height is important because a tall tank contains more water and therefore create higher pressure on the sides.

I suggest you use at least 15 mm or even 18 mm if there is not much price differential. Once the glass is installed, it is permanent and changing it will be a major project. think about it, when you move/shift, the tank has to be transported, thicker glass will hold better.

• SRC Supporter

Patrick 123,

You can actually refer to some of the reefers here who have built reefs that size for reference...

actually the dimensions given seems very close to this forum's founder reef.....

Do take note that you might also wanna consider getting it built within the 4 walls of your room cause it would be of substantial weight..

I did have a reef that's built out of 12 mm glass... dimensions are 5.5 by 2.5 by 2.5.... with eurobracing not only on the top but also on the bottom....

Its holding pretty well ....... ;)

• SRC Member

I will definately go for 15mm glass for safety sake. You do not want 1 ton of saltwater in your room right?

Get a reputable tank maker who you are comfortable with. Tanks of this size are nuthing to play around with and try to save a few hundred dollars here and there. The tank is one of the 2 most critical and unchangeable part of your setup. the other component is your stand. I hope you do know that to hold up 1 ton or more of weight for an extended period of time, you need a very very strong stand ...

My opinions only..

• SRC Member

Dear all,

It turned out that it is not just a few hundred dollars. According to the tank supplier, the 15mm glass is more for commercial/building construction, and hence the price is 3 times higher than a 12mm glass.

So for example, a tank of size 5x3x2.5 that cost $1000 for glass will now cost about $3000.

I think everyone want safety. But when it cost $2k more, will you be willing to pay? Or invest the $2k into a good MH light?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member

If you read the link I posted, you will notice there is a table on risk factor. Normal recommendation is 2.9 but nobody will stop you if u think less than 2.9 is acceptable. However, I will definitely not try it. Like AlfaRomeo mentioned, you got to determine your priorities.

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member

10mm and 12mm thickness price not much difference. Next up is 15mm where price is much more than 12mm. Then again, 15mm and 19mm price not much difference.

Depends on what is acceptable to you, coupled with other factors like workmanship, type of silicone used, shape of silicone between glass, bracing used etc.

If at the end of the day you do not want to spend too much on a tank, then go smaller size, easier maintenance, and less cost of running with good trade off. Just think, initial cost is so much lesser than running cost. Do your sums.

You might want to consider transmittability of light through the thick glass as normal glass have a greenish tint. The thicker the glass the more obvious the tint. Unless its float glass it will also have imperfection in its surface that can distort images on the other side.

• SRC Member

Hi....

I think in general, the thicker is better...but do we really want to have a 20mm (like Aquatechnic tank) or even thicker?

like you have rightly pointed out, price is a major consideration and to balance it with safety.

for you information, I have a 6x2.5x2 tank, with 12mm glass, for abt 2 year+ already.

and I believed many that are having 5 to 6 ft tank that are using 12mm and so far, they are doing fine.

It's easy for others to comment, but end of the day, you are the taking the risk yourself and burning your own pocket. :D

• SRC Member

Nutx, yup so far the tanks with 12mm are doing fine meaning no burst glass panels etc etc but there have been a few horror stories i heard about tank leaking from the seams due to the glass warping. Primary cause is that its not thick enuff and thus the glass warp and the silicon was not properly done so got leak. 1 more thing that ppl who plan to have big tanks like yours have to seriously consider and weight the pros and con. IMHO.

• SRC Member

Well, if money is no concern, I will build a tank with 20mm glass...hehehehe

I spoke to the tank supplier. Apparently, he is very confident that it is ok to use 12mm, and he actually discouraged me to use 15mm. The way he does it is that there will not only with euro bracing, but on all the edges, there will be a small piece of reinforcement glass that run along side of the entire parameter.

I guess since I have already ordered, I have to take a risk and go along with it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW, I was told that silicon only last up to 10 years. So to be safe, I think each fish tank only has a lifespan of about 5-7 years. That's a lot of money to throw away.

Cheers,

Patrick

• SRC Member

Hmm, patrick ... like what most of us are saying... its the risk that u are taking. You got to be confortable with what you have. If u think that you are willing to take the risk of your tank breaking apart and want to save $$$, by all means.. go ahead.. but just remember that if your tank breaks.. it will be your house that will be flooded and not anyone elses. I think most of us have already stated our opinion on the necessary thickness...

I think 12mm glass is not a problem if you use very high grade silicon that I am using (Dow Corning 795), with full eurobracing and centrebrace.

The glass bottom is tempered for strength and so is my back glass wall (as I have cut holes in it).

The starphire glass is supposedly to be slightly weaker than float glass as the iron content is very low (therefore the clarity). It's also 12mm if I am not wrong.

A 15mm tank poorly designed & siliconed tank will fail faster than a 12mm that is well made.

;) You just have to trust your tank maker.

• SRC Member

AT,

Well said. I agree and believe that the weakest link is the silicon, not the glass. I believe most of the tank leak starts from the silicon joint, not the main glass itself.

Furthermore, silicon only have a lifespan of 10 years. I believe after 5-7 years, it requires re-silicon to maintain it's strength.

Best regards,

Patrick