can use plastic tub for keeping fish?

chinmo

• SRC Member

hi guys, i got this tub here, wonder if it can be use to keep fishes long term?

post-7-1078707604.jpg

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

side view, guys pls give me comments, advice if the tub can or cannot keep marine

post-7-1078707806.jpg

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

i'm using it more like a refugium. can put 6 inch dsb with around 5-6 inch water left! :P

• SRC Member

erm....AT hw to check if it is pe or pp?

post-7-1078709138.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks rockyboy, was starting to get worried if i use it, any more advice from other guys?

• SRC Member
:lol: 19 bro, the tub is abt 2ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft, roughly lah hor :lol: it is a hard plastic. jus hope that it don't leach toxic into the waters.... :unsure: if not all the sh can go dried up make medicine liao :cry2: forgot what price i brought liao, think ard 20 plusplus... ;)

• SRC Member

If my memory serve me well, I recall PP is those brittle plastics. For example, those plastic whistles that kids play with. PE are the 'softer' plastics you use in plastic cup as in those used in water bottle you use in the army.

I would be careful about colored ones as the manufacturing process is such that a colored pigment is used in the injection-moulding process where raw plastics (usually in small granular form and looks like japanese rice) are melted and mixed with the colored pigment to give the colored plastic. Salt water may overtime bleach the plastic and the pigment goes into the water.

I will go for the clear transparent or translucent white plastics type as no colored pigment is added in the manufacturing process.

Carrefour has sale for these tubs now. Dimension is L67.5xW46.5xH39cm. $9.90. Translucent ones with cover.