My Juwel Tank

Hi all,

Some of my tank pics are shown as attached. apologise for not being able to post the photos directly cos i dun have the necessary software to crop the pics. therefore, can only attach a zip file for your convenience.

Pls gimme ur valuable comments. :thanks:

SRC.zip

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

err...... dunno why when i finish uploading the post, it actually becomes 2 posts in this forum........ not my fault......serious!!! hope one of the moderators is able to delete one of the post. thks guys.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Welcome. NOrmally I dont take my tank with flash as the MH actually bright enough. And color isn't as nice. If you must, someone mention it before to cover the flash with a thin layer of tissue paper.

Tank 4x2x2.5

if anyone want a better view, can always go to the zip file and download.

my most prized coral will be my non-branching luminous green, semi transparent octopus and of coz my sps. esp the green acro which i got from benz.

Austin's Birthday

.png

nice bro :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
if anyone want a better view, can always go to the zip file and download.

my most prized coral will be my non-branching luminous green, semi transparent octopus and of coz my sps. esp the green acro which i got from benz.

Who is benz? I was also looking for one just like that...

Nice tank.

hi ozy,

benz have no more green acro or any sps left if i m not wrong. u can try PR. but those they left wif r from their shipment abt 3 wks ago. u might wanna call them up to ask when is the next shipment coming in.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Hi,

I have a Rio 125 tank and I intended to convert it to a salt water tank.

May I know wat to buy and add. I bought it a few years back and was a freshwater tank.

IMO preferably not to used coz medicine is commonly found to be dosed into fresh water aquarium for watever treatment. Over a prolong period of time, medicine is knwn to be absorbed into the silicon or stained on glass.

If u insist on using back the tank since it would be a waste not to, then it would be advisable to give ur tank a good scrub, fill it up with water, put in a powerhead so as not to get stagnant water and leave it for couple of weeks. Even if u nvr put in any mediciation, do take into consideration with the thickness of the tank (6mm...is not really recommended).

Nxt, is to work on ur filtration, and frm the look of it ur only best choice would be cannister or overflow box (I-box). I would chose the I-box provided u have space for a sump tank in ur cabinet. Overflow box will not only provide u with surface skimmin and also increase ur total volume with the use of a sump tank. A system running on sump i would say is the best form of filtration for marine keepin else, u r left with only the cannister choice. For cannister, a surface skimmer attachment would be very useful and regular maintenance will be required on ur cannister to prevent nitrate buildup.

The next 2 piece of equipment is interlink. Its the lighting and chiller. A MH would be the best choice provided u get a chiller. Go for 250W or higher wattage MH if ur tank is 2ft deep else, 150W will do also for a 1.5ft depth. And with MH, u can go for at least a 0.5hp chiller or higher one if u foresee u will upgrade to a bigger tank and at the same time not to overwork ur chiller.

T5 would be the next better choice if u dun wanna get a chiller but IMO, anythin above 2ft depth will render the T5 useless coz eg...a 3ft 39W tube juz doesn't have the punch thru water to reach the 2ft bottom to provide ample brightness > light loss as it goes thru deeper water. To counter tat, u can put in a 6inch DSB (leaving u with 1.5ft depth) and keep those less light demandin corals at the bottom and more demandin ones higher up on the LRs. :yeah:

PL is kinda of stretchin the light limits and FL is a no no.

Ultimately, u have to ask urself wat u wanna keep, FOWLR or Reef?. FOWLR=not necessary to have intense lightin and chiller. Reef=Necessary if u give a damn abt ur LS :lol:

The above is juz to help u kick off....u will come into contact with lots of other equipments which may not be necessary now at ur stage. ;)

Go thru New to the Marine Aquara and other threads to help u gather more info.

If i were u, sell of the present tank and custom make one with the proper thickness, overflow, sump, cabinet and size. Or check in the pasar malam thread for any bro lettin go their tank set only. Go for the biggest tank u can afford and maintain.

Btw, forget abt gettin the whole system frm seller coz there r no way u can transport them. Do it once and good so u dun waste "upgrading" money in future. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

hi Mok50777,

this is juz my 2 cents,

as u hv oredi know by now, i m using a RIO 180 as my marine tank. I started off rearing discus in my tank, now it is oredi a full-fledged reef tank with rics, sps, lps, softies, etc. :) as recommended by jd_n, i would suggest u give ur tank a good clean up b4 u start. reasons r as stated by jd_n.

IMHO and from personal experience, no worries abt the thickness of ur tank. Juwel is a well known brand from Germany, Europe. they use tempered glass as the main core for ur tank. the strength of tempered glass is much better than that of ordinary green glass. although, many ppl say that tempered glass will be easily shattered.

as for filtration wise, i can only tell u what i did. the rest is up to u. i dun hv a sump, but i m utilizing a 1ft tank as my refugium. i grow macroalgae in it to reduce my nitrates, there is no need to go for a DSB in the ref in this case as it wun do much good coz the size of my ref is not proportional to that of my main tank. the aneorobic bacteria growth in the ref will not be enuf to suport the main tank. flow from the main tank down to the ref is by using a I-box.

as for chemical filtration, i m using a cannister. all i hv dumped into my cannister is coarse/fine filter wool, rowaphos, carbon and polyfilter. regular maintenance of once a week or two is necessary.

lights wise, i m using 2x 150W MH 10,000k and normal FLs zoomed actinic blue. using a 1/2 hp chiller too. my skimmer is not too good, getting a new one soon. for us utilizing juwel tanks, u gotta go for either a hang on type skimmer or a out sump skimmer.

i hv abt 4" of sand in my main tank as dsb. but i a little more kiasu oso..... therefore, i oso use the berlin method and dumped in abt 40 to 50kg of LRs.

pls go thru other threads and do ur proper research b4 u start buying unnecessarily.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Happy Reefing!!!! :):P

Austin's Birthday

.png

• 2 weeks later...