Are T5s really good enough?

RAV-65

hi all,

really need some advice here, me planning to get a new tank soon, and still stuck between the T5 or MH, was planning to use a MH 1x250W 10,000K, but like to know if the T5 can really replace the MH? would it be good enough for my LPS and soft corals if i use a T5?

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Supporter

IMO, T5s can never replace MH in intensity... they do however provide pretty good colours on some of those reefs that are using them..

Vincent,

You would have to seriously consider whether you might be headin towards SPS in the nesr future... cos if that is the intention, would suggest that MHs be seriously considered as the primary mode of illumination... of cos... do factor in the need for a expensive utility bill....and chiller... ;)

I would consider T5s for smaller tanks or those without chillers.

I hear from my overseas friends that the 3rd generation T5s are getting better and they should be the 2nd best lighting alternatives to MH.

PL and FL is on the way out.

Until T5s are extremely affordable, I'll be sticking to my 400w MHs! ;)

Danano keeps SPS with a bank of T5s over his tank... and so do many German SPS keepers with larger, deeper tanks (of course, they use a LOT more T5s! ;))... their SPS colours are equally as awesome as those under MH.

This is a hint to reefers that its not JUST lights that you should worry about but its WATER QUALITY that matters more!

Dun think I will be getting SPS, its gonna be mainly LPS and soft corals... dat's why I might just get T5s, but the high cost to it as compared to getting a industrial MH light set is kindda putting me off!

Den again, I dun intend to use a chiller, juz fans and the MH would cuase the temp to swing up and down... :(

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg