Powder B.Tang in my 3FT Picture - Comments

• SRC Member

Hi , Attached is a pic of the Powder Tang in my 3 Ft..

as you can see the LR has MacroAlgae as well as a piece of light green caulerpa at the top.

This morning, I found the algae rock fell to the bottom near my goniapora and the algae seem to be torn and some dying.

The fact is I actually never seen my Tang eating the Algae...but sometimes it does peck on my LR...

I am worried its not feeding..what can I do?

Comments?

post-8-1078417816.jpg

• SRC Member
Try feeding it with nori soaked with garlic :lol:

may i know the rational of soaking nori with garlic? i use garlic-soaked mysis to feed my fishes when they have white spots, particularly my P.Blue tang.. on the normal days, i do not even touch garlic..

IMO, garlic is like a anti-biotic, if u keep dosing too much, it becomes more difficult to cure ick next time as the disease would have become more resistant.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

the smell.. fishes seem to get attracted to garlic..

and no.. humans are also encouraged to eat more garlic for various reasons. That doesn't mean that we are more difficult to cure next time if we have some sickness..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Your PBT looks grown up. 3 ft tank may be too small for this guy.v Also, your tank looks too clean and new. Monitor your PBT. With unstable system, ich can happen quite easily. Try feeding garlic with nori to beef up resistance. If the fish is doing well, it will eat anything, even algae on LR.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

may i know the rational of soaking nori with garlic? i use garlic-soaked mysis to feed my fishes when they have white spots, particularly my P.Blue tang.. on the normal days, i do not even touch garlic..

IMO, garlic is like a anti-biotic, if u keep dosing too much, it becomes more difficult to cure ick next time as the disease would have become more resistant.

Well I had terrible ich outbreak in my tank, affected my purple tang badly. until body get white patches like moldy like that. Lukily it is willing to feed and I kept giving it nori soaked with garlic juice. It recovered :lol: . I continue giving it the same concoction and no white spot appear on it although it appear on new fishes which I introduce.

ich is in your tank. Garlic only give your fish ability to resist it. that's all. I feel if you stop giving garlic soaked food. their resistance will drop. It's not antibiotics, like you finish a course and your fish immunity is there. it is more like vitamin c to build resistance to prevent attack.

My 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member
The fact is I actually never seen my Tang eating the Algae...but sometimes it does peck on my LR...

I am worried its not feeding..what can I do?

Comments?

PBT is prone to white spots more than othe tangs, keep a couple of cleaner shrimps. let nature takes it's course. Tangs eats algae, it may be the cause for the fall. Try spirulina, it may eat. Mine eats everything including meaty food.

Your tanks looks bare, no enough LR and if you want to keep a tang go for the hardy ones like yellow or purple. Furthermore check out the fish and corals hardiness before buying, can save you some money and some heartache. Do research and research and more research before buying, at least you know what you are in for.

• SRC Member
How I wish that they will come out with an anti-ich treatment that is reef and invert safe. Issit that hard to do?

there is.. but how effective is it?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

I think your fish is too big for your tank size or rather your tank size is too small for that kind of fish. ;)

You should consider exchanging it for a smaller specimen that should last you a few months before it will outgrow your tank... so to keep the fish, you should upgrade your tank! :lol:

Seriously... Tangs are comfortable with larger & longer for swimming space, lots of LR for grazing. Your tank's too small.

• SRC Member
sorry just asking one question... what kind of garlic to use for soaking fish food? those garlic for cooking purposes or some kind of garlic juice products??

just use the normal garlic, pound it and add some water.. viola, u have garlic extract.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
ich is in your tank. Garlic only give your fish ability to resist it. that's all. I feel if you stop giving garlic soaked food. their resistance will drop. It's not antibiotics, like you finish a course and your fish immunity is there. it is more like vitamin c to build resistance to prevent attack.

like u had mentioned, Ick is ever-present. New fishes tends to be more prone to getting them largely due to stress, new environment, bullying by resident fishes and lack of space or high bio-load

My PTB had ick coz kenna bully by resident fishes. 3 days of garlic soak food, ick is gone.

Once the fish is established and got accepted by the resident fishes, it should recover. Thus, i dun see the reason why u need to continue to dose it.

Prevention and building up immunity is one thing, finding out the main reason why u have ick in the first place is the crux of the issue.

I have not experienced ick until i got my small PTB and of my 6 tangs, it is the only one that suffers from it. Yes, granted that it is a ick magnet but if u can isolate the main reason why it got ick, u can rest assure that it is gonna be ick free for a long time. This is my first ick outbreak after a long time. :)

Scarab,

I do agree that the PTB is a bit too big for your tank and should u want to add more fishes, u will find that u will have problem coz of the bio-load. IMO, that size is more suited for 6ft and more.

• SRC Member
Scarab,

I do agree that the PTB is a bit too big for your tank and should u want to add more fishes, u will find that u will have problem coz of the bio-load. IMO, that size is more suited for 6ft and more.

Hello bro,

It's NOT my tank. I'm only posting my opinion here. I have success with no further outbreaks of ich since constantly feeding garlic soaked nori to my tangs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Hello bro,

It's NOT my tank. I'm only posting my opinion here. I have success with no further outbreaks of ich since constantly feeding garlic soaked nori to my tangs.

they reefers are giving u important advise on the tank size and the fish..

u got to believe them.. or the most u can have is that only fish in your tank..but nice simple setup looks gd :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed