Suggestion Needed :)

• SRC Member

Hi AT,

if yr tank is cycled, u should have 0 NH4, NO2 & NO3. Where is the excess nutrients. I believe u will use PO4 absorber to remove unwanted PO4 right. or is there any excess nutrients i left out???

If you have excess nutrients, of course nuisance algae will grow. but once yr tank is cycled, no more nutrients for it to feed on, it will dead off itself.

If u stock up slowly & observe how much yr system can take, u shouldn't have any problem.

Wei :)

hmmm.... theoretically, once no3 levels are low, it means that your harmful ammonia and nitrite source is already processed. The initial cycling is complete.

That leaves behind other less harmful dissolved organics (which are not rotting stuff) behind... how do you explain that even without adding livestock, you can get diatoms and cyanobacteria growing? Something in the water is feeding them.

Once you add a livestock to your tank, you are essentially creating a mini-cycle as they introduce waste into the tank. But because the different bacteria (for different stages of the nitrogen cycle) is already present, they will grow to feed on what's introduced and processed.

Do your stocking conservatively, and you and your LS will not even notice the mini-cycles.

Err.. are we going round in circles? :shock: LOL!

I think I was just trying to justify why a PS will help a newbie from the onset... and you're telling him not to worry abt a PS for the cycling process.... well.... we are both right in some ways....you can have a PS/without doing more water changes or you can do with a PS/but need to do more water changes.

:rolleyes:

And we both agree... that in the long-term... you will need a PS anyway... just get a good one without regret!

:lol:

• SRC Member

Hi AT,

agree with u with the mini cycle. thats why i mention add things slowly.

for the diatoms and cyanobacteria growing, its during the intial stage where there are die off on the rocks and stuff.

Err.. are we going round in circles? yup, something like that! :lol:

Do your stocking conservatively, and you and your LS will not even notice the mini-cycles.

i'm not a fish!! :angel:

I know what u mean & i just want to say PS does not play such an impt role in the success or failure of a tank.

Nice exchanging opinion with you. :P

Happy New Year! :yeah:

Wei :idea:

• SRC Member

When things like bits of corals die off, the slime and decomposed flesh go into the water. When fish die, which is common for newbies, all the body flesh goes in the water. Anything which is in the tank water stays unless there are many large water changes and for a 4/2/2 tank is not an easy/cheap task. A ps catches out the dirt and leaves the water.

A P.S may not be the most impt but every minute factor plays a role.

I know what u mean & i just want to say PS does not play such an impt role in the success or failure of a tank.

Nice exchanging opinion with you. :P

Happy New Year! :yeah:

Wei :idea:

Hi Wei,

Nice exchanging opinions too! :yeah:

But I'll still stick to my opinion that a PS plays an impt role in the success of a tank! :angel:

:) And happy new year to you too bro!

AT

• SRC Member

Hi i know that

1liters mutiply 0.264178 = us gallons

1liters mutiply 0.219976 = uk gallons

which one are we using ? when items like skimmers says like 50gallon / 250 gallons?

US or UK ?

if u want to convert gallon to liters u take 1 gallon mutiply 4.54609 right?

so erm a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft tank how many gallon isit?

Thank

woonming :evil:

• SRC Member
Hi i know that

1liters mutiply 0.264178 = us gallons

1liters mutiply 0.219976 = uk gallons

which one are we using ? when items like skimmers says like 50gallon / 250 gallons?

US or UK ?

if u want to convert gallon to liters u take 1 gallon mutiply 4.54609 right?

so erm a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft tank how many gallon isit?

Thank

woonming :evil:

woonming: if we're talkin' abt gallon, it's US gallons... the superpower who is stil using ancient measuring units... UK are using litres...

a 4 x 2 x 2 tank wld b 119.69gal. :D