SPS colouration

• SRC Member

Few question regarding SPS corals.

1)Roughly how long does the SPS corals eg. Acros take for the colours to show up?

2)How do you tell wat colour acro you are buying as most of the LFS stall them under less than adequate lightings and they always appears brown?

3)What type of food does SPS consume? Cost and availbility in Singapore; exact LFS?

Appreciate all feedbacks,

Eric

• SRC Member

How abt tellin us ur tank's spec, water parameters, equipments, lighting,....before we answer ur question. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

just thinking. Why do people feed them in the first place when they depend so much on lightings? ..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Do not have the idea tat sps rely mainly on lighting only. Lighting juz plays and impt role, tats all....there r lots of factors to consider too. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member
u sure your tank condition able to keep sps..

sps grow 15cm a year..

as for when it will color up depend on one tank condition..

sps consume 95-98% using light...

Growth I think should not be much of an issue, I believe we can use lightings to control the growth, eg. high kelvin or radium. And if really so successful till over grown, can give away or sell some frags to fellow reefers.

My main focus is water parameters, from what I read SPS needs excellent water quality. Will put more attention on that. Mean time I need some experience from sps reefers regarding the time frame on colouration. It has been around a week since I bought this acro & the polyps are showing most of the time but the colour is still brown as from the day I bought it. Using 2 x 250W BLV 20K & 10K MH for 3ft tank.

For food wise, read up some using live rotifiers(where to buy these and how much in Singapore?), others using Golden pearls which the SPS looks promising in AT's tank or dosing with just Aminoacid(cost?)

SPS reefers pls share your knowledge. Thanks!

• SRC Member

Growth I think should not be much of an issue, I believe we can use lightings to control the growth, eg. high kelvin or radium. And if really so successful till over grown, can give away or sell some frags to fellow reefers.

My main focus is water parameters, from what I read SPS needs excellent water quality. Will put more attention on that. Mean time I need some experience from sps reefers regarding the time frame on colouration. It has been around a week since I bought this acro & the polyps are showing most of the time but the colour is still brown as from the day I bought it. Using 2 x 250W BLV 20K & 10K MH for 3ft tank.

For food wise, read up some using live rotifiers(where to buy these and how much in Singapore?), others using Golden pearls which the SPS looks promising in AT's tank or dosing with just Aminoacid(cost?)

SPS reefers pls share your knowledge. Thanks!

I believe u have not read up enough and u r not ready for sps yet. :unsure:

U hav no knowledge abt lighting, sps diet, requirement.....(higher kelvin won't give u higer growth, higher par will) and yes with high par value will give u better growth rate but feeding, room for growth and water conditions shd also be taken into great consideration. Its a big mistake to think abt keepin them when nt ready and a even bigger mistake since u have embark on keepin them. Ur water conditions shd be ideal before u start keeping sps and not to have them in ur tank then put in more attention into gettin the right water condition. I hope u have oreadi taken the necesary steps to counter ur high calcium problem. The least consolation u have is at least the polyps of ur arco are showing. In the meanwhile, i would suggest u to get ur water conditions rite first before adding any more corals into ur tank. When everything's ok and after reading up, then its time u can start again but would recommend u start on frags first before proceeding to colonies. ;)

To answer to some of ur ques, there r reefers here who feed their sps with DT, GP, zooplanktons, live rotifiers, cyclopeeze....and sps dun juz color up overnite especially when u juz had it not too long ago and when ur water r not rite yet.

The fastest coloration i experienced in my tank is 1mth and tats juz partial coloration only. Full coloration may takes mths. Infact i have one tat has been brown for the past 4mths.

Btw there r more to juz GP feeding in AT's tank, there r more than meet the eyes :evil: inorder to achieve AT's tank then juz feedin GP alone.

:)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

1)Roughly how long does the SPS corals eg. Acros take for the colours to show up?

Depending on water quality, water circulation, ample lighting of the correct spectrum, it may take a few weeks to a year. Or maybe... never. ;) That's the beauty and challenge of keeping SPS... its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get! ;)

You may actually end up with a glass box of chocolate sticks! ;)

2)How do you tell wat colour acro you are buying as most of the LFS stall them under less than adequate lightings and they always appears brown?

You can't. Experience will tell you what the base colour would most likely be and you will then 'hope' for the 'potential' of the specimen to show itself soon.

3)What type of food does SPS consume? Cost and availbility in Singapore; exact LFS?

Zooplankton or zooplankton substitutes. You have to hunt around. You can buy liquid coral food to GPs.

• SRC Member

Strong lighting, good water parameters cannot be compromised when keeping sps. Gary, don't be too harsh on him. Everyone is trying to learn from this hobby. :lol:

Question: Does strong lighting (higher par) accelerate the "colour up" time?

• SRC Member
Strong lighting, good water parameters cannot be compromised when keeping sps. Gary, don't be too harsh on him. Everyone is trying to learn from this hobby.  :lol:

Question: Does strong lighting (higher par) accelerate the "colour up" time?

No lah....i m nt being harsh mayb kinda of straightforward, hope Eric dun mind. :peace: Juz hope fellow reefer learn thru proper readup, research....and when tank's ok then proceed to try, this way less corals and money will be wasted.

Higher par will accerate growth but lose out on coloration. 6500k has the highest par which is good for growth, 20000k will has the lowest par which is good for coloration. A good mix of 6500k and 20000k will give u color and growth ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

Regarding Eric's question no 1 & 2, I use to think that a higher lighting (including other good water parameters) brings out the bright colours in acros. But if you look when you go diving or some reef videos, you will find in the shallows a brightly coloured acro next to a brown one. Both of them got the same water and light. There are lots of people who think that every brown acros will change to a bright blue or pink if they add more lights. I think it comes down to the genatics of that particular acro. I belive that is why some acros will never colour up no matter how much high wattage you have.

So Eric, if you got a fully bright coloured acro or one that is brown with colourful growing tips and it turn all brown, then it got to be your lighting and water parameters or some other stress. But if you get a fully brown acro, the chances of it turning into a bright coloured acro is a 50/50 chance.

I hope I answered your no 1 & 2 questions.

Frankie

• SRC Member
Does a good mix means balance? eg: 250W 6500k and 250W 20 000k.

Yes, 20k will give u a too "blue" look. So by balancing with 6.5k will give u a more pleasing whitish look and at the same time growth and coloration.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• SRC Member
Regarding Eric's question no 1 & 2, I use to think that a higher lighting (including other good water parameters) brings out the bright colours in acros. But if you look when you go diving or some reef videos, you will find in the shallows a brightly coloured acro next to a brown one. Both of them got the same water and light. There are lots of people who think that every brown acros will change to a bright blue or pink if they add more lights. I think it comes down to the genatics of that particular acro. I belive that is why some acros will never colour up no matter how much high wattage you have.

So Eric, if you got a fully bright coloured acro or one that is brown with colourful growing tips and it turn all brown, then it got to be your lighting and water parameters or some other stress. But if you get a fully brown acro, the chances of it turning into a bright coloured acro is a 50/50 chance.

I hope I answered your no 1 & 2 questions.

Frankie

U r correct, there r infact acros tat r brown by nature. But they are hardly seen in LFS locally (those tat turn brown are not considered). If u got a brown arco frm LFS here, very high chance tat brown is not their nature color coz as if i m not wrong LFS dun bring in brown acro here. And as a "aware" buyer, would u pay 50-80 for a nature brown sps? I won't! coz brown acro simply doesn't fit tat price range. If u notice, some LFS's sps price is lowered when their stock turns brown coz when the stocks r no longer colored and attractive, the price must be attractive to attract buyer. :yeah:

Btw chances of Eric gettin a nature brown acro is very slim. :heh:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• SRC Member

Depending on water quality, water circulation, ample lighting of the correct spectrum, it may take a few weeks to a year. Or maybe... never. ;) That's the beauty and challenge of keeping SPS... its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get! ;)

You may actually end up with a glass box of chocolate sticks! ;)

You can't. Experience will tell you what the base colour would most likely be and you will then 'hope' for the 'potential' of the specimen to show itself soon.

Zooplankton or zooplankton substitutes. You have to hunt around. You can buy liquid coral food to GPs.

Appreciate all the Informations everybody, no offends taken :-) You guys really answer my questions well. Will hold on to present status and lower down the calcium level slightly. Dont worry I wont waste anymore precious corals until I'm very sure my tank conditions are suitable for SPS.

Hopefully, my brownie will show his true colours soon.

• SRC Member

Appreciate all the Informations everybody, no offends taken :-) You guys really answer my questions well. Will hold on to present status and lower down the calcium level slightly. Dont worry I wont waste anymore precious corals until I'm very sure my tank conditions are suitable for SPS.

Hopefully, my brownie will show his true colours soon.

Patience, u shall be rewarded. :lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Higher par will accerate growth but lose out on coloration. 6500k has the highest par which is good for growth, 20000k will has the lowest par which is good for coloration. A good mix of 6500k and 20000k will give u color and growth ;)

• SRC Member

have been hearing conflicting comments rgd the use of 6500 and 20000 for coral coloration. but can you explain why 20000K lighting is better for coloration as compared to 6500K?? the statements you made seem to suggest that high par = poor coloration and low par =good coloration....or is there literature available to support this?

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• SRC Member
http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/showfla...5/o/all/fpart/1

u can have a slow read thru and u will get ur answer. :snore:

nothing in the link you provided point to the fact that higher color temp improves coloration ... In fact some in the thread mentioned that the coloration of the corals are masked by the yellowish appearance of 6500Ks..... so what you don't see does not mean that it is not there...

And because you sounded so sure that "20000k is better for coloration than 6500", just wanted to find out more before I consider changing my 6500K to a 20000K.

Also, read something interesting from the link you posted... any divers can verify this??

"I have done a lot of diving over the last 15 years. Everywhere I have dove the most abundant coral life exists at 30' or above. As a matter of fact the most colorfull reefs seem to be the most shallow. At shallow depth sunlight penetrates very well and the reefs are very bright, much closer to the light of 6500 or 10000K. You have to reach below 60' to get to where the water starts to resemble a tank light with 20000K. This must make one wonder."

-Bajathree, reeftalk.com

Hi,

Kindda agree with killfire on his points. If I'm not wrong, I read somewhere before about this reefing myth that specifically talked about the misconceptions most reefers have about higher kelvin = better coloration and stuff. Maybe jd_n, u might wanna take a look at that article?

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member

nothing in the link you provided point to the fact that higher color temp improves coloration ... In fact some in the thread mentioned that the coloration of the corals are masked by the yellowish appearance of 6500Ks..... so what you don't see does not mean that it is not there...

And because you sounded so sure that "20000k is better for coloration than 6500", just wanted to find out more before I consider changing my 6500K to a 20000K.

Also, read something interesting from the link you posted... any divers can verify this??

"I have done a lot of diving over the last 15 years. Everywhere I have dove the most abundant coral life exists at 30' or above. As a matter of fact the most colorfull reefs seem to be the most shallow. At shallow depth sunlight penetrates very well and the reefs are very bright, much closer to the light of 6500 or 10000K. You have to reach below 60' to get to where the water starts to resemble a tank light with 20000K. This must make one wonder."

-Bajathree, reeftalk.com

Sad to say being a fellow diver myself tat have dive for the past 11 yrs, have not pay much attention to the coloration of corals tat was affected by depths. To me everything down there look blue/green :shock::paiseh:

Now to answer to ur ques....Believed u have read up those links...juz like those reefers there, we came to be aware thru experimenting with these bulbs (6500k, 10k-20k). And we have noticed tat 20k bulb gives us better coloration in our sps as compared to the others and 6500k bulb gives us better growth as compared to the others.

Not only considering the growth and coloration, the pleasing look of the tank is also very impt. at least to me :lol: Dun u find ur 6500k give u a yellowish look on ur tank. Well, to counter tat, by adding in a 20k blue bulb will provides u with a crisp whitish/blueish look which r more pleasing to the eye.

Its only thru reading and obtaining feedbacks from fella sps reefers and experimenting with different bulb combination, i m able to obtain better growth and coloration thru the using of 6500 and 20k bulbs.

Well, mayb 6500k is the ultimate bulb tat gives both growth and coloration but the yellowish have put me off frm experimentin with juz 6500k bulb alone. And only with the mixing of blue and 6500k give me a so much pleasing look.

Majority of fellow sps keepers here uses 20000k mixture with 6500k bulb and wat would be the reason behd tat? U shd knw better. ;)

Now, i dun knw the effect of 6500k and 20k on lps coz for the past years i m using 10k only. And when i swopped frm lps into sps, i still sticked to the 10k bulb initially but was not achieving good growth and coloration (acro under tat r brown still stays brown or take mths to color up). Infact my sps tat turn brown due to stress (recent tank migration and a brown colony tat i bought from Assillian have color up in abt 1 mth+ time.

If u r not into sps yet, mayb when both ur tank and u are ready....u can start ur own combi of be it 6500k alone (if u can stand the yellow :pinch: ), 6500+10k, 10k+20k........and record ur growth rate as well as coloration. ;) then u can update us on a better bulb combination and we can experiment with tat.

Btw i m aware of a fellow reefer here's Ricordia (lps) is growing at a good rate under his 6500k and 20k. :whistle

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi,

Kindda agree with killfire on his points. If I'm not wrong, I read somewhere before about this reefing myth that specifically talked about the misconceptions most reefers have about higher kelvin = better coloration and stuff. Maybe jd_n, u might wanna take a look at that article?

couldnt agree more wif jd_n....take a look at bottom right of the stag..growing two small branches under 20k in 3 weeks :P

post-22-1079287412.jpg