What is T5 ?

• SRC Member

T5 stands for the diameter of the tube. They are high output fluorescent lights. I suppose you mean good as in light output, then they are one of the most efficient lighting system available. Lumen/watt they are higher than MH plus they use very little space.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

AT, would appreciate if u could also cover how to recognise T5 - will there be any indication on the tube

I have seen some tubes which my LFS claim are T5 but I'm not sure. Just wondering if it could appear in KL, how come it has not in Singapore?

• SRC Member

T5 lightings can be found in most of Singapore lighting shop, especially those located at Geylang.

There is even T4 in Singapore. The main problem is those lighting fixture sold here is not meant for aquarium use as it's not water-proof and they do not carries light tube of desire colour temp we need. I have check with them, the best tube they have is only 4300K, for home or office use.

By the way, my office block is using T5 for their ceiling lights...kee..kee...

For all your convience, Holly Lighting at Geylang Lor 13(not sure which lorong liao) do carries T5 lighting but light tube is 4300k only.

• SRC Member

I dun know are they consider as Europe VHO or not.... But T5 output is 30%-50% brighter than PL. And Because of their think tube, you can squeeze more given your tank width.

Yes T5s are considered as VHO... they require an e-ballast to run.

T5s for marine is being developed now... so you will be getting it in a few weeks/months time. Standby for news from me... as usual... my HK connection happens to be the best T-52 distributor in Hk... he's sending me a sample in a month's time for product review!

:)

• SRC Member

T5 is classed as HO not VHO but it is very bright plus it can be overdriven at the expense of bulb life. The Icecap 660 ballast will push a 54W tube to 75W.

It can never replace MH because it's lacks the intensity to punch deep into a tank and it doesn't give very nice caustic lines (glitter). Generally, FL and PL will produce more lumen/watt compared to MH.

I can get Quicktronic T5 e-ballasts from UK if you guys want but I think you can source it from Singapore. Arcadia has some decent marine tubes and even a true actinic in T5 size now.

T5 is only suited for small shallow tanks of less than 1.5' deep or for use as supplements to MH.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

It's up to you to class them. PL is sort of grey area cause it's a folded over NO FL tube.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

check with local distributors. They say there is a 6500K T5 on sale in the market but have to make special order. Yeah . .told me need to use a special e-ballast too. Different watt from PL or FL ballast.

Hope AT can come out with something soon. Very interested in this.

• SRC Member

No. There are NO eballasts too. It's the ballasts AND tubes that determine if the lighting is NO, HO or VHO. Usually, it is possible to downgrade the ballast or overdrive the tube, in other words, use a VHO ballast to drive a NO tube but not the other way round.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I know that Icecap e-ballasts do that but not sure for the other brands of e-ballast. Don't try it with normal tar ballast! The output is increases at the expense of bulb lifespan. The NO bulb will last about 6 months before it darkens considerably.

post-36-1093875548.jpg