Recomendations of skimmer

JL27AY

Hi guys,

I realised that my nitrates are getting more and more and have sort of concluded that i need a better skimmer. Currently, I am using a 2013 for my 3 by 2 by 2.5 tank with a 2.5 by 1 by 1.5 sump. Think it is a total of 75 ++ gals.

Wana check if there are any other alternatives out there other then the H&S skimmer everyone is talking about. Kindly state the price if posible and any reviews are welcome. I would also need to noe the size of it to see if it can fit in my sump too..

Tks

JL

just want to note that Skimmer does not remove nitrate. If not, why would people spend so much money on dsb and LR to denitrifying the nitrate to nitrogen gas. The bacteria that turn nitrate to nitrogen gas cannot survive in the skimmer that is oxygen rich. I will try to find the research article to post it here to support what I said.

Having said that, the skimmer will suck in some detris and skimmer out on the collection cup. Will less detris in the tank, less nitrate will be produce. But the nitrate that is already in the system will not be removed by skimmer.

Water change is the fastest way to remove nitrate.

I agree. A good skimmer is the most important. I am a big fan of skimmer. I spend hundreds of hours just to make my skimmer worked more efficiently.

thinking of DIY skimmer next time.

Anyway, I heard Euroreef is very good. A little X, but consistent reputation. Try "My Reef Creations" . I think the website is www.myreefcreations.com. They are cheaper. Heard good things about them.

• SRC Member

its good that u r looking into water quality and parameters 1st instead of lightings.after all water quality determines good husbandry of Ls and corals.german brands...hmmm...how should i put it... <_< jus a compare a 120K nissan cefiro and a 120k bmw 3 series.which would u choose?anyway,u can never go wrong with german brands.R and D is involved in the skimmers leh... :D

jus not further disappoint u...nex yr..camrys r gonna be made in thailand...hehehe :P

yeah i know...

tats why i din wait till next year...JDM for me..hehe

actually not so bad lah...dun look down on thailand ok...their economy one of the better ones in the region..

afterall, i heard they also make the BMW 7 series :blink:

• SRC Member

yeah i know...

tats why i din wait till next year...JDM for me..hehe

actually not so bad lah...dun look down on thailand ok...their economy one of the better ones in the region..

afterall, i heard they also make the BMW 7 series :blink:

but did u notice the new altis and the old corolla..the thai made ones had almost all the electrical parts with QC stamps..quite stringent.. hahahaha....guess AT mus be mad..."wat the hell is tis?" toyota skimmers ah....wrong forum....hahaha :lol:

Haha...

Tot my thread clearly says recomendations for skimmer not cars...

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyway,

I noe skimmer will not remove nitrates but i 'believe' having a good skimmer will allow mi to prevent forming of nitrates rite(pls do correct mi if i am wrong).

JL

• SRC Member
Haha...

Tot my thread clearly says recomendations for skimmer not cars...

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyway,

I noe skimmer will not remove nitrates but i 'believe' having a good skimmer will allow mi to prevent forming of nitrates rite(pls do correct mi if i am wrong).

JL

jus remember..simply tat ur skimmer is aso a form chemical filtration. ;)

Yep..definitely mechanical. Cause proteins are amphiphatic (is that the word?)...they stick to bubbles and when the bubbles burst then the proteins get splattered into the collection cup.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/