Pulse starter for T5

BarraCudaTM

• SRC Member

T5 tubes requires a warm start ballast to warm the cathode ends before igniting the tube. Failure to do so will reduce the life of the tube drastically due to the thin cathode and rapid/instant start ballast will cause the phosphorus ends to burn out.

However T5 ballast is not cheap and getting the wattage required maybe difficult. Here's a electronic pulse starter that uses a warm start technology to ignite lamps.

post-9-1077379645.jpg

• SRC Member

The elbiru eballast is a instant start ballast that will ignite the tube on the first strike with a very high voltage thats why it can start without blinking. However this excessive voltage will burn the ends of the tube. If you look carefully in my videoclip, the tube is already damaged by the elbiru eballast. This same tube was on a elbiru eballast for abt 1month before I took it out.

Interesting ... I don't mind giving it a go.

Bawater will be jumping up and down when he reads this :D

Not too sure on electrical jargon, so bear with me.

Having witnessed an OSRAM+T5 in action, I observe that it uses a pre-heating sequence which actually light the entire T5 tube slightly before pushing it to full brightness.

This electronic pulse starter seem to light up the ends first and only before full brightness.

• SRC Member
Interesting ... I don't mind giving it a go.

Bawater will be jumping up and down when he reads this :D

Not too sure on electrical jargon, so bear with me.

Having witnessed an OSRAM+T5 in action, I observe that it uses a pre-heating sequence which actually light the entire T5 tube slightly before pushing it to full brightness.

This electronic pulse starter seem to light up the ends first and only before full brightness.

Not sure whether which method is better but here's my understanding.

In order to produce light, the mecury vapour needs to be "excited" enough to produce UV. What the osram eballast does maybe by striking the tube with a voltage surge, lowers the voltage and slowly ram it up.

This pulsestarter will provide a slowly increasing voltage to warm the cathode first before striking the tube 2secs later. You can see it clearly from videoclip.

I'm not really sure which method is the best but this is the best bang for $. This pulsestarter can be used on any FL, PL, T5 from 4watts to 125watts, just that you need to match the ballast with a suitable wattage.

• SRC Member
barra how many would i need for my powerlux 3*39watts? or in the first instance can i replace them? :thanks:

It doesnt make sense to use this pulsestarter to replace the T5 eballast. This pulsestarter will only work on normal ironcore ballast, mostly to reduce cost and extend tube life.

Ok...I am a cheapo...here's what I did to get my T5.:paiseh:

1) Went to Rai*bow near Far*mart. Saw this small no frills light (T4, 16W). Nice slim plastic casing with cover (splahproof somemore...) but came with only Green colour tube. Bought it. $10.

2) Went to Lighting shop opposite Sim Lim Towers (cos Sinster don't have T5 tube that size mah...), found a T5 tube that fits into the light case! 16W! $8.

3) Went home and glued the whole thing on top of my tank hood (2ft). connected it. yes! my T5 tube. Used together with 2 x 55W PL tubes. Awesome...

Total spent = $18.

Apparently, you can connect 5 of these light in series and use all of then at one go.

Just want to share my happiness...

post-9-1077719578.jpg