help on water change

ashidiq

• SRC Member

i have just change a 20% of water in my 2 feet tank . after about 15 minutes to my horror my yuma and mushroom closed up and started to excrete some slimly susbstance. what had happened ?

1) previous i have use red sea salt and i change it to dual phase formula.

2) i also change from geo liquild to tera anti chlorine

3) the salinty of water droped from 1.024 to 1.022 after water change

can anyone out there please me and kindly teach me how to correctly change your water please share with me type of anti chlorine or chemical added during water change .

lastly is my yuma and mushroom dead ? ( its not opening but excreting slime ) help help :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:

• SRC Member
i have just change a 20% of water in my 2 feet tank . after about 15 minutes to my horror my yuma and mushroom closed up and started to excrete some slimly susbstance. what had happened ?

can anyone out there please me and kindly teach me how to correctly change your water please share with me type of anti chlorine or chemical added during water change .

lastly is my yuma and mushroom dead ? ( its not opening but excreting slime ) help help :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:

Mushroom dont really die by sliming.. Just stress which may cause by the swing in salinty.

If they should die it would look like a pile of black/brown slime..

You should also consider removing chloramine which itis more toxic toward your fishes and corals.

Ming :rolleyes:

If you pour the water down too soon before it is fully dissolved it might shock your corals.

Use tropic marin if you have no space or time to let it circulate for 24 hours before using it.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

but i left my water to circulated with an air pump from one night wor... its confirm my mushroom is exrceting black slime now.. will the change from geo liquid to tetra antichlrine cause a change in my water parameters ?

Don't worry excessively..mushrooms are rather bullet proof.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
i have just change a 20% of water in my  2 feet tank . after about 15 minutes to my horror my yuma and mushroom closed up and started to excrete some slimly susbstance. what had happened ?

lastly is my yuma and mushroom dead ? ( its not opening but excreting slime ) help help  :cry2:  :cry2:  :cry2:  :cry2:  :cry2:  :cry2:

actually I'm also having Yumas and mushrooms (also a jewel coral). I always pour in the salt mix (Dual Phase Formula too) almost immediately after. I can still see particles of salt... no problems with shocking the LS though.. Just did 20% water change yesterday also.

What I might guess is you added maybe some additives .. maybe too much additives in your salt mix.. or did you wash your pail nicely? .. detergent?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Sudden change of ascertain amount of water is stressing the LS and some unresolved salt might have landed on the mushroom's freshy part. Some notes to take in future: Try not to change water in huge volume, let's say maybe just 10% at one go over a period of few days

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member
Sudden change of ascertain amount of water is stressing the LS and some unresolved salt might have landed on the mushroom's freshy part. Some notes to take in future: Try not to change water in huge volume, let's say maybe just 10% at one go over a period of few days

but like I said above, salt particles in the water still no problem leh...

And the guy just changed 20%.. I've tried 30% without any effects.

I bet its something else.. just dunno what..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
oic... i think this may be the main problem because my tank is 2 feet water parameters changes more easily... i now in hotsoup liao... but will too much antichlorine cause any side effect?

How much you pour? .. is this some new product you are trying?

• SRC Member

Also to note, to check the source of water coming from.e.g water from the tap might contain amount of PO4 that promotes alage growth inside the tank after water change

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

yah i change from geo liquild to tetra antichlorine... the problem started when i using geo liquild my copperbrand was dead that time. haiz so so sad..... i also very eager to know the problem but i newbie..... thanks for all the help hotsoup and arcanehacker

• SRC Member
i have a strange feeling that switching from geoliquild to tetra antichlorine is the main culprit for my tank to crash

you mean something like one reacting to the other causing ionic imbalance? ;)

I like to point out that salt particles in water IS harmful to livestock.

FYI, undissolved salt particles can actually 'burn' coral tissue.

You should only add saltwater that has been thoroughly stirred so that all salt particles are completely dissolved. Use a powerhead or pump to move as much water as possible in your saltmix preparation bucket for a few hours at least.

• SRC Member
I like to point out that salt particles in water IS harmful to livestock.

FYI, undissolved salt particles can actually 'burn' coral tissue.

You should only add saltwater that has been thoroughly stirred so that all salt particles are completely dissolved. Use a powerhead or pump to move as much water as possible in your saltmix preparation bucket for a few hours at least.

Point noted!

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member
oic thanks AT ... didn't know that ... but i think arcanehacker have what i have in mind... i am afraid that the geoliquild (which i use previous cause so problems in my water parameters i now no faith in setting up my 3 feet ...

yah.. salt particles 'burning' the corals is one thing.. his is far more serious than that..

You probably gave an osmotic shock to your tank. You have to ensure that the salt is fully dissolved before measuring your salinity to match your tank's current salinity.