Scrapers

• SRC Member

What methods do you guys use to clean algae off your glass.

I started out using magnetic scrapers, but after a while I stopped using them and switched to metal blade scrapers b/c the magnet will easily rust in salt water.

Is iron oxide (rust) bad for a marine tank, and does is the amount leached of significant anger to tanks?

I guess some people use plastic scrapers too.

• SRC Member
What methods do you guys use to clean algae off your glass.

I started out using magnetic scrapers, but after a while I stopped using them and switched to metal blade scrapers b/c the magnet will easily rust in salt water.

Is iron oxide (rust) bad for a marine tank, and does is the amount leached of significant anger to tanks?

I guess some people use plastic scrapers too.

I find scraper very troublesome and as what you mentioned, it rust easily. I have a piece dish washing sponge specially reserved for cleaning the glass wall :)

dino07.gif

Scrapers with metal edges cannot last long in reef tanks... even in my FW days, those metal scrapers tend to rust after a while.

I recommend to use magfloats, powerful magnets... I almost broke my fingers a few times when i wasn't careful... the pull of the two pieces together is tremendous... even on my 12mm glass... they are able to stay together for scraping... on anything less than that... you require a lot of strength to move the magnet on the glass.

:)

• SRC Member
Wash the scrapers clean and keep them out of saltwater. There is a brand called Mag-float in which the magnets are totally encase in grey plastic. Waterproof. But magnets tend to weaken after a while.

Correction, they weaken if you drop them.

But one funny thing, when you hold weak magnets up on top of the aquarium light you feel a charge running thru, and the magnet seems a bit stronger?!