flow rate ??? algae ???

• SRC Member

Ehhh for a 2 ft by 1.8 ft tank ah wat is the recommended range of flow rate ah

currently my skimmer is running at 1500 litre per hour and my ehiem is running at 400 litre per hour.

is it too much?????

and after installing my lights, i notice that the surface of the live rocks and pump is being covered by brownish stuff.... like powder like that

and i am thinking of adjusting my ehiem flow rate using the in/out valve..... will that damage the filter as i prevent the water from flowing out at the normal rate???

thanks

• SRC Member

i cam e across a product by seachem, i think it is phosguard. The product stated that it will help to absorb silicate and phosphate. something like carbon absorb chemical etc.

is it alright to use this product, any comment????

According to my web surfing, diatoms is mainly due to the abundens of silicate. therefore removal of silicate content present in the tap water and tank water will remove the growth of diatom.

• SRC Member
limit the amount of nutrients as much as possible with some water changes. It's inevitable that diatoms will be present in newly set ups which can be distressing but in time all this will settle down. Make sure you have good water movement across the sand bed and LR's.... :D

good water movement is not gonna help in preventing algae. I eheim Pro II 2028 canister meant for a 3 feet above tank on my 2 feet. Also have a viaaqua skimmer meant for 3 feet above tanks. Water flow is surely good but still encounter algae on my sandbed and growing on my tank walls.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
i cam e across a product by seachem, i think it is phosguard. The product stated that it will help to absorb silicate and phosphate. something like carbon absorb chemical etc.

is it alright to use this product, any comment????

According to my web surfing, diatoms is mainly due to the abundens of silicate. therefore removal of silicate content present in the tap water and tank water will remove the growth of diatom.

read up in these forums. Not very good reviews on this product.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
[quote name=Acanthurus pyroferus' date='Feb 11 2004, 09:52 :D

good water movement is not gonna help in preventing algae. I eheim Pro II 2028 canister meant for a 3 feet above tank on my 2 feet. Also have a viaaqua skimmer meant for 3 feet above tanks. Water flow is surely good but still encounter algae on my sandbed and growing on my tank walls.

True to a certain extent, but it also depends on where the water is circulating?

Key to algae control is not to use tap water, use RO or distilled water is preferred, keep nutrients low, i.e. always underfeed, good water circulation and most importantly frequent water change, for small tanks it is easer to change water on a weekly basis.

• SRC Member

True that movement cannot stop but it helps. Your ehiem itself if not maintain regularly could coz NO3 problem.

Water flow is one direction is not enough. we need irregular to kaotic water movement to prevent deadspot where ditris can collect and break down. This can be accomplish by using multiple PH where their paths cross or a wave maker or surge device.

Water output from is skimmer cannot count as water movement as the water is too slow.

• SRC Member

yeah thats because your nutrients is still very much high I guess... Using eheim canister? That explains it! Theres only water movement from the top what about the sand bed... :erm:

• SRC Member

Used seachem, does not seems to stop Diatoms although the water does feel cleaner....Also use polyfilter and even thought they say it will absorb silicate it doesn't seems to control it much.

In the end found turbo snail to be most effective...although they seems to leave marks glass.....