DIY Deltec Based Skimmer

Tanggy

• SRC Member

Hi bros. After promising results by adding a modified powerhead to the weipro (more skimate then usual). Decided to make a deltec based skimmer from materials I have laying around.

The reaction chamber is made out of 6" acrylic and is SQUARE in shape instead of the uausl round tube, This is cos no time to go buy acrylic tube and I have used acryl;ic laying around. The Riser will be made by a 3inch pvc pipe with a square collection cup.

There will be 2 pumps running the skimmer. A pump to pump the water in and a recirculation pump. Both are surplus pumps that's not being used. The impellers has been modified to resemble the needle wheel with a home made venturi providing the bubbles to the pump.

Will be posting pics of work in progress later cos charging digi cam batt. The reaction chamber has been mostly completed and now working on the collection cup. Wish me luck. :lol:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Forgive the skimmer. I know it's ugly! And the worn out acrylic doesn't help the looks! ke ke... But hope to get valuable measurements and experience before doing anoither one. That is planned for 8inch reaction chamber. with either 2 or 3 recirculation pumps and the water input to be directly from the overflow.

• SRC Member

Cos plan to put in sump. so the joints are not glued. use teflon tape to ensure seal.. The bulks haeds are using gasket.

As for the power head, the pvc pipe is slightly smaller and burn to expand for tight fit using 3/4 inch pipe. and anothe 1/2 pipe with a washer inside make up the venturi.

Wow! A square skimmer! First time I'm seeing one!

I can't be sure... but I think there's a real reason why square skimmers may not work as well as round ones.

Something to do with turbulence, bubble movement, tensile strength of the body or costs of materials/extra work.

Alvy, our resident DIY guru may be able to shed some light! :)

But hey... good effort! It might work well! Looking forward to a product review! :)

AT

• SRC Member

That only applies for counter current design. As you can see. this design is not. the bubbles is not meant to go in circle. but up. Lotsa models around that is square. like the spray injection AquaC remora, deltec also got, bak pak. I have done lotsa reading and asking liaoz.

Click HEREto find out more.

They only make round for model like h&s, euroreef cos lower production cost. think of it this way, a 6inch sqaure got more area than a 6inch circle.

• SRC Member

I have already done the venturi. But didnt take the pic of the progress. It is basically a 3/4 pipe connected to the input of the powerhead with a hole drill into it for the hoose adaptor, with a 1/2 pipe connected into it with a washer before the hoose adaptor to create the venturi effect. The hoose must be reduce in size or you will not get enough bubbles into the pump.

• SRC Member

Good job Tanggy, cannot wait to see it action!

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you