Crab releasing offsprings

TTBoy

• SRC Member

Have been trying to catch the crabs in my reef for a long time already. And to my horror last nite, this particular crab was fanning out stuff from its belly. Very tiny little looking tapoles swimming all over my tank. Damn! I hope they dont survive and mature into more crabs!

• SRC Member

hope your fishes will eat them up before they grow up. if not, u can have free pepper crabs, chilli crabs

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

Survive and grow up? Don't think so if you've got a protein skimmer running, but it sure makes great food. When anyone at home decides to go to the market to get crabs I always insist they buy those gravid ones, so I can peel the eggs off and feed to my tank on a fortnightly basis. The gorgonians open up very nicely, and even some of the LPS manage to catch the floating eggs with their mucus layer. Fish love it too, esp. my clown.

At most, if they do survive, give us a seafood treat someday! :P

• SRC Member

I have several 1 to 1.5in crabs in my current tank. Am still catching them slowly but steadily. Removing about 1 crab a week on average, and to think the tank is already 6mths old!!!

Here is my personal experience. I keep several 2 in regal tands, some yellow clown goby. On some occassion when I went too near the tank, my regal tangs will get all shy and hide in the rocks. Twice, I saw a tang huddle down in a hold when I get too close, only to have a crab move over and blocking the exit path of the hole. The crab then proceeded with a happy tangy meal. I am very certain the tang are in good shape, and are alert when caught. There are also occasions when the crabs tried the same technique but the tangs got away, but those dumb fishes never learn :(

Just to share my experiences.

EL

• SRC Member
:pirate:

Argh... i hate those crabs. Only managed to declaw a few of them. I have abt 4 of them running around with only 1 claw. But problem is that they learn to avoid "THE HAND" once an unsuccessful removal is attempted.

TTBoy, why catch them? next time just get a pincer or something, just poke straight thru them.... :evil::evil::evil:

• SRC Member

hw to prevent crab from entering e tank in e 1st place?

they alweiz hide in e LR rite?

i lost a starfish in past due to a "hidden" crab,it onli come out at nite,totally no trace of it during e day(most prob hidding among e LR),i relised it's existence onli when i notice my poor starfish found with traces of peeling,more and more "wound"each dae~!

den i pull out e supicous LR and put it in another pail n wait.. finally it come out look for food n i caught it~! an one inch craby.