the spec to look out for a good calcium reactor

andysho

• SRC Member

max: don't forget the deltec is using very fine media, for the fluidise effect!! overpowering ur pump will result in the intake ###### in lots of media, yes u can employ a sieve but i will clog in no time..i personally have my old dupla reactor (small one) turbo charged with a eheim 1046..the pump gets clog after a while!! having a ball valve to control the flow will help but still ARMS is nothing near the fine size of Rowa's..correct me if i'm wrong..but i do agree having a high flow encourages more movement within the calcium media bed resulting in better dissolution!

I hear the high cal and alk readings from fluidised CRs is due to false readings as a result of the fines in the water due to the increased erosion of the media as the movement of the media cause more abrasion.

There is a method to test for the true & accurate cal and alk readings from such reactors but I don't have the info at hand. It slightly more complicated from the standard test kit procedure.