planning my seahorse tank needs advise

weileong

Planning my seahorse tank so need all the expert here to advise and see if the information I gather is correct.

I have already read all the message in this seahorse/pipefish forum + those websites recommended.

Will be using a 2ft cube. Overflow box will be 2" down from top of tank so max water height will be 22"

Just considering setting up a DSB of 4" with grade 0 sand. Is 18" height enought for the seahorse. Read all the website and they recommend a height of 2-3x that length of adult seahorse which is usually 6". If 18" height is too little then I will just go with 0.5" sandbed and have 21.5" water depth for the seahorse.

For LS wise in my 2ft cube, I am intending to keep a few pairs of different seahorse, some pipefish and maybe some goby.

Is 3 pairs of seahorse and say 3-4 pairs of pipefish + one or 2 more peaceful goby adviseable or already overstocked?

Filtration will sharing the sump with my 4ft reef tank and return using probably a 1260 or 1250 then go back to tank and a rainbar to diffuse the flow. Is this a good idea?

Lights wise will be using probably 2x36W PL. Then grow some macro algae in the tank too.

I also read LR are not suitable cos it will injury the seahorse so in this case how to "plant" the macro algae?

I think too many questions and I hope the experts don't feel too tired and pls advise.

Thanks.

• SRC Member

hi bro, i;m no expert, jus a SH fanatic! :yeah: for height, if u nt gonna breed them, ur tank height would be okie, my reidi largest size is 6 inch roughly, still able to breed, but tink the height of water column nt enough for the transfer process! can c egg spill! heart pain!

My reidi tank has 7 SH, 2 spotted mandarin, 1 boxing shrimp, 2 pep shrimp, 3 trocpical abalone, i black bleeny, 7 clams and 30 snails! so far no problem yet. :P

filteration sounds very gd! since ur reef tank mus be very stable, the SH will benefit also. aslong as the flow rate is nt 2 strong for the SH can liao. i'll go for 2 x 55 watt pl, macros will grow fast!

i don't have any problems wif LR, if u want to be secured, instead of tonga branch, can use fake corals or pvc pipes or even thick nylon ropes for hitching. :yeah:

Hope can help u out abit. :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

Hi Weileong,

If u can have 20"-22" of water height, it will be very nice. U can consider making the tank higher so to have a thicker sandbed. U can go for 2.5-3" sandbed using no.0 sand. It will work as well. Besides, if yr filtration of yr reeftank is able to handle the load, I dun see why u need such a DSB.

Certain pipefish cannot have 2 male in one tank. So choice yr pipes carefully. I got a pair of blue strip, u can only have 1 male in tank. For goby, get those peaceful ones.

For the lighting, I would suggest u go for more light. 4 x 36 or 4 x 24W t5ho. Add zoanthids, mushroom & some soft coral for aquascaping. They will appreciate the lighting.

U can take a look at my tank by clicking on the link.

Cheers!

Wei :)

Hi Weileong,

Congratulations for making a decision to kepp such lovely animals.

Cheers,

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I've read the seahorse.org website but they did not give very precise answer that I need and that is why I am confirming with those that are actually keeping seahorse now to see if my idea will work or not.

Most sites says min of 2-3x the length of seahorse when fully stretched but did not say how long are the length. I guess I'll just have 0.5" or 1" sandbed in the 2ft. So I will settle for 21" total water depth. If the seahorse is 6" like brother chinmo's then it will need 18" so I've slightly more than 3x the length.

Don't think a 2-3" sandbed will be much difference from a 0.5-1" sandbed so I will save the money on the sand and stick with max water depth.

For example they mentioned seahorse don't like very bright lights but that is quite relative speaking. Due to this I am not sure if 150W MH is out cos I could keep calms in the 2ft.

As for lights I'll like to have the highest intensity possible without affecting the seahorse. Good to know possible to use 4x36W PL as I can grow macroalgae in the tank so it helps to reduce the nitrates. But if using this might as well go for 150W MH? Heat is not a problem as I've a overspecs chiller running in the 4ft.

As for the too strong current, I still do not have an idea how strong is too strong, maybe just install ball valve and play with the flow. Bubbles would be really bad idea for the tank so need to take very good care of it too.

I supposed a temp of 25-26.5 is good for the seahorse.

For the pipefish I am intending to get maybe 4 different types so should not have problems with the males fighting.

Wow getting very excited especially seeing all those nice seahorse you guys having now :P

• SRC Member

Ime, don tink strong light will be bad for sh, LisaD in sh.org is using 1 x 150 watts. i'm using 3 x 39 watts t5, the sh doesn't mind, instead tink they enjoy the lighting, since they nvr go to shaded places of my tank. i deciding to use 1x 150 or 250 watts mh on my new tank, but due to the heat and potentailly harmful uv ray, i think i still stick to t5. :P

my sh r kept at room temp, ard 27 to 29 degree. :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

Bro Gouldian, gd to see u here, they r more then lovely! they r simply interesting and fascinating creatures! :yeah:

Tentatively settled for the following.

Tank = 2ft cube.

Substrate = 0.5-1" sandbed with grade o sand (1 bag), actually will grade 1 be better?

Total water weight after substrate and overflow = 21-21.5"

Lighting = 1x150W with 2x24W actinic PL to simulate dust/dawn, thinking of getting from octopus bay 2ft MH.

Planting some long seaglass for seahorse.

Should be quite settle already :P

Following will be the fun time to setup and get everything running.

• SRC Member
Think grade 0 would be the best choice. Remember reading somewhere in this forum that someone had a seahorse choke to death on an ingested coral chip. :blink:

that is mine... :cry2: brings back sad memories... :(

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.