Calcium Reactor Problem

damsel-in-distress

• SRC Member

I have a Dupla calcium reactor installed about a year ago. Recently, I noticed that it is not working properly. I know this because I am currently manually dousing calcium supplements 2-3 times a week to keep the calcium level around the 400mg/L mark.

I've checked and the pump to it is working but the carbonic gas from the CO2 tank doesn't seem to be doing its job of acidifying the argonite to produce calcium. I have been told that this is probably due to the noticeable 1 inch air gap at the top of the CR container. I've recently replaced the chamber with new argonite material but the 1 inch gap is still doesn't work.

Can someone give me some idea how to fine-tune piece of s#%t which I have been struggling for the last couple of months!

• SRC Member

AT - you guess it and of course, like all the other pcs. of equipment they recommended and installed, it is NOT adequate for the size of my tank which is 1000L volume. Her after-sales service sucks & she has not responded to my numerous requests for assistance to the problem.

What other details of the tank setup do you need to help rectify this problem?

Well, since the problem has been identified as being inadequately sized... I suggest you sell it off and get one that's suitably sized.

You should check out the US range of My Reef Creations CRs that our sponsor, SeaQuest is bringing in.. good stuff!

What I would have asked for is your tank size, coral type and density, bubble count, effluent output, current Cal and Alk levels etc.

Edited by Achilles Tang

• SRC Member

AT,

Even though it is inadequately sized, I thought I would keep using it (if I can have it fixed??) and keep supplementing manually as required. Its worked before but I can't identify why the chamber is not filling up.

Since the end of the Aqxxxxxc's warranty on the equipment (in Dec 03), I have since slowly upgraded:

- my protein skimmer (from the Sanders 2x250ml units) to the AquaC400

- changed the topup unit to the TUBBY. The old one was leaking electricity into the aquarium water!

- gradually replacing bulbs on the MH 150Wx2 + 24Wx2 actinic. Expect to change the entire light pendant to 400W next year when I switch to more light requiring SPS.

Currently have a mixed tank (50% SPS, 40% softies, etc). LS - 20 small fish. Half tank of LR built up on the back wall. Water parameters: CA - 375mg/L; alk - 9 dKH, pH - 8.4; Temp - 27degC; CR bulb count abt. 1/sec.

So what do you think? Replace or fix?

:erm:

why manually supplement with a CA on hand..... :blink: Thats double the job done. Obviously the CA is undersized so a change would come naturally and a rescape would be good. Your high nitrate problem might also be something thats dying in there as well so an overhaul is about due. :D